We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy in 8 - 10 days

Dungog, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Italy in 8 - 10 days

I'm attempting to plan 8-10 trip to Italy (en route to Scotland), for female friends early May 2014. Originally I was hoping to get to Positano, Pompeii, Rome, Tuscany & Venice, but as I've started researching I'm realizing that it would be rushed and a lot of time spent on traveling. Instead I'm thinking flying into Rome for 3-4 days - staying somewhere central, then heading to Tuscany for 4-5 days and 2 days in Venice. Could anyone offer any suggestions for possible 2- 3 night stay somewhere en route to Florence where you could possibly venture on day trips. Whilst in Florence I was planning on doing a cooking course (1/2 day) then spending 1 1/2 days exploring Florence before heading to Venice and flying out from there. I have been told the train system is great was was hoping to use this as our mode of transport rather than hiring a car, therefore the need for accommodation central to attractions and public transport. Any advice or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,556 Reviews
from US$74.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,973 Reviews
from US$107.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
541 Reviews
from US$395.80*
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy in 8 - 10 days

You could take the bus Rome to Siena www.sena.it and visit some Tuscany towns and villages by bus from Siena www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf www.discovertuscany.com

Bus Siena to Florence (Firenze) www.busfox.com/timetable

Train Florence to Venice www.trenitalia.com

Excursions by Trenitalia train from Rome to Orvieto

Flights Venice to Edinburgh www.jet2.com Venice airport bus www.atvo.it

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice

Regional info Lazio, Umbria, Tuscany and Veneto www.italia.it/en/home.html

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence
Hotel Firenze
Hotel Firenze
816 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Lazio
Lazio
Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Veneto
Veneto
Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,573 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy in 8 - 10 days

You're planning too much in 8-10 days.

I would spend 4 days in Rome, 4 days in Florence and 2 days in Venice. This doesn't include travel days. I also wouldn't add day trips as you won't have a lot of time to explore these three cities as it is. You said you don't want a rushed vacation or to spend a lot of time on the train. If you take day trips everyday that's exactly what you'll get- a rushed vacation with a lot of time spent on the train and not seeing much of anything.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy in 8 - 10 days

You are wise to scale down your original plan. I think you may still have too many places to overnight. With 10 days, 2 - 3 cities for overnight stay should be a max. Otherwise you risk spending too much time in transit, too much time checking in and out of hotels and getting oriented. Train is definitely the way to go in Italy.

If you divide your time between the 3 cities (Rome, Florence, Venice) that would work. If you really want to see more of Tuscany then I would omit either Rome or Venice and concentrate on Tuscany either as 1 or 2 day trips from Florence or time divided between Florence and 1 other spot. Siena and Lucca are both good choices and would give you an experience different from the big cities. Lucca is a personal favorite of mine and a wonderful place to spend a few days (or a month !)

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
4. Re: Italy in 8 - 10 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 06:20