We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5-7 Days in Italy

Atlanta, Georgia
6 posts
Save Topic
5-7 Days in Italy

I am getting ideas and information on a 4 person trip to Italy May-August. We would love to see Venice, Florence, Tuscany and Rome. For a 5-7 day trip is that too much? We would drive ourselves (hopefully 1 car) and if needed leave from separate airports. Any advice is welcome!!

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5-7 Days in Italy

Yes, it's too much for 5-7 days. Pick 2 destinations like Rome & Venice, Venice & Florence or Rome & Florence & divide your time between them keeping in mind, you will lose the better part of a day travelling between these cities. Don't need a car except in Tuscany & wouldn't recommend you drive in or out of the major cities, take the train instead.

Keep checking these forums for planning your trip-there's alot of valuable info. here. There's also a ton of proposed itineraries too that will give you ideas for your own. Good luck!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5-7 Days in Italy

5 days is definitely way too short, 7 is doable if you're young and crazy! Venice you could do with 1 night (I did 2 and could've done more) Florence needs 2 nights minimum if you're doing the Uffizi and the David, and Rome probably 3 nights. You'll drive through Tuscany, and can stop at a farm or vineyard or something for lunch, but it's several hours from Rome to Florence.

You could do something like this.

Day 1 arrive Rome, day 2 Rome, day 3 Rome, day 4 drive to Florence early- see Tuscany, and stay in Florence, day 5 Florence, day 6 drive to Venice early, day 7 Venice, day 8 leave Venice.

I would just give yourself an extra day in the first city you visit. We landed in Rome at 7:45 in the morning and went straight to the Colosseum and ate, and then crashed. We also got sick from the red-eye and had sinus infections the entire 2 weeks we were in Italy (wash your hands a lot, and don't use the nasty airplane pillows and blankets, just my opinion) You're going to be really tired the first day there. We were (two 29 year olds) and we flew from NYC. The Vatican is at least 6 hours and a must see, Rome is just big and takes some time. Some people might say Florence deserves more time, but I don't regret my 2 nights there, because I saw the big attractions. I loved every city I visited in Italy and in my opinion, I would rather see more than be well rested! :-)

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5-7 Days in Italy

If you can possibly add a couple of days, you must if you are determined to keep,this itinerary. Rome is a big city, and personally, the place where I would spend the least time. Venice is harder to get in and out of from the US, but I am guessing that you might be flying in from elsewhere in Europe. You said you will drive yourself, but don't underestimate the Italian roads and their drivers. Trains are the way to go in Italy, especially with your timetable. IF I were you, with only the 5-7 days, and I were flying in from Europe, I would do 2 nights in Venice, fast train to Florence, a night in Florence, rent a car, 3 nights in Tuscan countryside, back to Florence early, fast train back to Rome or Venice.flight out in the late afternoon, early evening. If headed back to states, Rome. This itinerary allows for no time in Rome. As it is, you will be really busy. Good luck.

4. Re: 5-7 Days in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 November 2013, 01:30
San Francisco
Level Contributor
831 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5-7 Days in Italy

Doable in 7 days, but it would be rushed and tiring. Definitely not doable in 5 days. I would not rent a car but rather take trains. Something like the following - Fly into Venice, 1 night in Venice, train to Florence, 2 nights in Florence, train to Siena, 1 night in Siena, train to Rome, 2 nights in Rome, home. That's 6 nights, and not enough, IMO, but you could do it and make it a whirlwind trip. If you could possible add on several nights I would do so.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,496 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5-7 Days in Italy

not doable in even 7 days unless your idea of travel is checking in and out of hotels, going and coming from train stations etc. 7 nights is 6 days -- for 4 separate locations (and Tuscany is not something that can be done in a day -- unless by that you mean taking a bus tour from Florence to a couple of Tuscan towns)

if it were me (and it has been) I would pick one site -- certainly not more than one if you have 5 nights. for 7 days, pick two perhaps. Fly into Rome and then immediately head for your second city -- Florence if art is your think or Venice if you have always dreamed of Venice and spend 3 nights there, then train back to Rome for your final 4 nights and fly back out from there. Or train to FLorence for 4 nights and take one of your three days for a tour of Siena/San Gimignano by bus or a self guided bus trip to Siena for the day and then spend the last 3 nights in Rome.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 20:43
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,742 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5-7 Days in Italy

Two places is really the most you would want in order to actually see anything - the cities you name are thousands of years old - they have so very much to see and to give each one day seems almost a waste of time.

I would fly into one city and home from another to avoid having to backtrack - i.e., fly into Venice, then home from Rome (or, whichever cities you choose).

Your current plan will likely end up making everyone cranky and maybe even a bit angry at wasting all their time getting from one place to another.

Pottersville, New...
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5-7 Days in Italy

I agree with everyone else that you need to pick one or two places to actually experience them. Also, unless you decide on a week in the Tuscan countryside, you absolutely do not want a car. There are ZTLs (restricted zones) in each city which make driving very challenging, and then there is no where to park. Don't forget that Venice is all water, so no cars there anyway. Train travel is your most convenient way to get around.

9. Re: 5-7 Days in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 05:19