We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get to Viterbo

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
how to get to Viterbo

Dear All

Can you please advise me how to get to Viterbo by train from Rome

Iwould like to get to the monster park at Bomarzo i have read that it is physically challenging is this so?

And finally is there public access to the hot springs near Viterbo?

Please advise

Kind regards

Ozzieeileen

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,732 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get to Viterbo

From Roma Ostiense, Trastevere and San Pietro stations to Viterbo, take the Trenitalia unreserved regionale train to Viterbo Porta Romana or Porta Fiorentina Station:

www.trenitalia.it

There is also the slower but somewhat more scenic Ferrovie Laziali train which departs from the Rome Piazzale Flaminio Station (very infrequent departures):

http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=2109

There is COTRAL bus service between Viterbo and Bomarzo (which I have taken), although I must tell you that getting to the Bomarzo Monster Park on foot is gruelling and not for the uninitiated. There are very steep inclines to negotiate, inasmuch as the bus drops you in the center of the modern town of Bomarzo (in front of the pharmacy), whereas the Park in down in a deep ravine below the town. It took me over 30 minutes each way. It's best to go by car, unless you are prepared for a strenuous hike along paved roads. There is no bus service on Sundays. You can take the bus either in Viterbo or at the Orte train station.

www.cotralspa.it

www.cotralspa.it/PDF_Orari_Comune/Bomarzo.pdf

There is a Viterbo city bus which drops you at the hot springs just outside of town:

francigena.vt.it/tpl/schema-nuove-linee.html

(Line 2 for the hot springs; line 6 for Bagnaia/Villa Lante). Bus terminal for the city buses is the Sacrario in the center of the old town (within the walls).

Edited: 26 September 2013, 20:13
2. Re: how to get to Viterbo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:18