We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving soon - Trenitalia: CONTACT BUYER-Required?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving soon - Trenitalia: CONTACT BUYER-Required?

I booked Rome to Florence without having to register, but can't do the same for Monterosso to Varenna or Varenna to Venice. It says CONTACT BUYER-Required, but when you try to register you get an error.

Travel will be around Oct. 16 & 19th: Monterosso-Varenna and Varenna-Venice - ok just to buy when we are at the station or should I keep trying / will tickets have chance of selling out?

Or, should we book them when in Rome (is that possible?) at the station earlier that week?

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving soon - Trenitalia: CONTACT BUYER-Required?

I suspect that the problem may be that Milan to Varenna uses local (Regionale) trains. You could probably book Monterosso-Milan and Milan-Venice without a problem.

Tickets will not sell out, but there may not be any discounted tickets available. Any Trenitalia ticket office (or any travel agent with the Trenitalia logo) can book any Trenitalia train journey up to 60 days ahead.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving soon - Trenitalia: CONTACT BUYER-Required?

Great, thanks. You get all the options to purchase, pick seats, enter names, enter CC, etc. But when you go to pay it says you have to register. The other that I booked successfully looked exactly the same, but had a box or some way (can't remember now) to opt out of registering.

We will just book it when we get to Rome, which is just a couple days from now.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving soon - Trenitalia: CONTACT BUYER-Required?

Yep, the Trenitalia booking site is really stupid. As I'm born in the UK I said so, then I'm supposed to fill in Province and Place of Birth, but both fields are greyed out, and anyway we don't have provinces in the UK.

So booking is completely impossible.

This behaviour is the same using IE and Chrome.

Edited: 17 April 2014, 01:23
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,817 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving soon - Trenitalia: CONTACT BUYER-Required?

You will be permitted to purchase seats on the RESERVED trains (Freccia or Intercity) once you are no more than FOUR MONTHS before your travel date. Just buy a traditional PAPER ticket for the unreserved portion of your rail trip (i.e. the regionale trains) once you arrive in Italy.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving soon - Trenitalia: CONTACT BUYER-Required?

If any part of your travel is on local (Regionale) trains, the Trenitalia web site does not give the option of buying without registering, and an Italian address is required for registration.

The answer is to use the site now to buy tickets on the Freccia or InterCity trains, to get the discount, and buy the Regionale tickets in Italy.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving soon - Trenitalia: CONTACT BUYER-Required?

Thanks sidneynick for the advice. Do you know whether it is cheaper if I buy in advance rather than on arrival, and by how much roughly?

/Paul

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving soon - Trenitalia: CONTACT BUYER-Required?

On the fast Freccia trains, it is well worth buying in advance. For a journey with a last-minute price of €43, you may get a ticket for €19 if you book soon after tickets go on sale, 4 months before travel.

If you go to the Trenitalia web site, you can see how much you could save. If you buy shortly before travel, you will pay the full Base price shown for a train.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving soon - Trenitalia: CONTACT BUYER-Required?

Thanks for the quick response. I'm travelling in two days, so perhaps not much to gain, but I'll check.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving soon - Trenitalia: CONTACT BUYER-Required?

Huh, even if I try to book a Freccia ticket I have to register, same problem.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,616 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving soon - Trenitalia: CONTACT BUYER-Required?

You don't have to register to purchase tickets for Frecce trains: as you can see from this form for changing bookings, there are 2 options, 1 with registration and 1 without: https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/search.do…

You must be overlooking the "continue without registering" option, I forget how it is presented.

As regards whether or not it is cheaper to buy in advance - only for the faster trains: for R trains it makes no difference.

Edited: 17 April 2014, 09:39