We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Italy itinerary

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
252 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Italy itinerary

We are planning a trip for next may (four adults/two couples). I am thinking of flying into Milan (2 nights), train/bus to Bellagio (3 nights). I know we will have to go back to Milan to get a train and we will be headed toward Florence as that is where we plan on spending our last several nights and flying out of. My question is - is there a place between Milan and Florence which is easy to get to by train where we should consider staying for a couple of nights (we will not have a car)?

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,462 Reviews
from US$81.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$409.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
6,909 Reviews
from US$111.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,832 Reviews
from US$60.30*
US$67.00
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Italy itinerary

I rarely rent a car when traveling, so I've often had to research things like this. What I do is search "Italy train map" to see my options. In your case, Bologna is one.

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
917 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Italy itinerary

Aside from Bologna (which is certainly the most interesting city between Milan and Florence, and where it is worth to spend a couple of nights), all other major cities between Milan and Bologna are very easily accessible by train from Milan: Lodi, Piacenza , Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena. Parma and Modena are oustanding for history and art, and worth a visit for a few hours.

Bellagio: the best way to reach it is by train and boat, with a transfer in Como (best station "Como Nord Lago", trains leaving from "Milano Nord Cadorna") or in Varenna-Esino (direct trains leaving from "Milano Centrale").

Brun066

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Florence
Florence
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
677 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Italy itinerary

Turin! Italy first capital, beautiful and easy town. IMO she deserves two (or three) nights more than Milan does!

Less than one hour from Milan by fast train. Have a nice trip!

Mentioned in this post
Turin
Turin
Province of Turin, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,960 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Italy itinerary

You could go directly to Bellagio from Malpensa, then see Milan, Parma, and Florence.

There is no train station in Bellagio.

If you were to first see Milan, then you would take Trenitalia from Milan Centrale to Varenna-Esino, and then you would take the ferry from Varenna to Bellagio.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/c_illago.html

If you were to begin in Bellagio, you would take Le Nord from Malpensa’s T1 to Como Nord Lago. Enter Malpensa Aeroporto and Como Nord Lago.

http://www.trenord.it/en/

ferrovienord.it/orari_e_news/ramo_milano.php

From Como, you could take the ferry onward to Bellagio, or the SPT C30 Como-Bellagio:

asfautolinee.it/Lineeeorari/…Default.aspx

asfautolinee.it/Portals/…2030.pdf

You could base in Bellagio and take a day trip to Milan.

Parma is an hour to an hour and a half by train from Milan, and a delightful city.

Bologna, Verona, Ravenna, Parma, Modena - how?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k68436…

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Florence
Florence
Bologna
Bologna
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
252 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Italy itinerary

Would there be any quaint small towns we could reach by train/bus from Milan on our way to Florence? I have spent a few nights in Bologna (loved it), but with Milan, Florence and Bellagio, I am wondering if we should try to find a small town for a couple of nights.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Florence
Florence
Bologna
Bologna
Italy
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Italy itinerary

If you love violins you can stop in Cremona, Stradivari town.

7. Re: Northern Italy itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 06:21