We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for northern Italy

Boston...
Level Contributor
370 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for northern Italy

Hi! Planning our second trip to Italy for next September. we did Rome, Florence, and Lucca last trip. We want to do northern Italy this one. So far our itinerary is

9-10 fly out of boston to Venice

5 nights in Venice

3 night in Lake Como--Bellagio?

2 nights in Milan

2 nights in Turin

3 nights in Cinque Terre

3 nights in Florence--side trip for places we missed on the last trip

flying home from Florence on the 29th

We will be traveling by train. Any suggestions or changes before I start booking?

Everyone was such a help for the last trip! Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for northern Italy

Just a reminder that 2 nights is really only one day for sightseeing by the time you travel and check-in to new accommodation.

But the trip looks interesting. Bellagio is a lovely town but by train you would go to Varenna and then take the ferry on the lake. Varenna itself is a pretty little town.

I don't know what draws you to Turin (I haven't been) but an alternative might be Parma which I really loved.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for northern Italy

Nice itinerary - a little too much moving around for my taste, but a good mix of cities and towns. Depending on your interests with Milan, you might consider seeing it as a day trip from somewhere else (Turin?). We spent one night in Turin a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it - can't wait to revisit it again soon.

Boston...
Level Contributor
370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for northern Italy

Thanks for your input. What would you suggest to combine to not have so much traveling? Torino with Milan or Milan with lake como? I thought the travel time was not so much as to lose a day.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
677 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for northern Italy

To Lynn B: if you haven't yet visited Torino, please do! Beautiful, easy town, first Italy capital...so much to see!

To Norths.... : IMO I would combine Torino with Milano: less than one hour by fast train, and one night in Milan is enough , while in Torino you have more to see. (This is of course depending on what your interest are...)... Have a nice trip!

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for northern Italy

Hi again northshorerobin,

No Lucca this time for you then? EMF0rsterFirenze has been a great help with our planning of a trip to Torino next summer on the way to our annual summer holiday in Lucca.

mesh

Edited: 25 October 2013, 22:47
Boston...
Level Contributor
370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for northern Italy

Hi Mish! I may try to do a day there but it's not on the "agenda" for this trip. I would hate to be so close and not go there. We stayed just outside the wall last year and I would love to spend a week inside the wall. Such a beautiful town! Hubby won out this time with Florence but we'll be able to get to San G for a day that we missed on the last trip.

EMFO, I think you're right to combine Milan with Torino. We feel like we should go to Milan since we're in northern Italy and we do want to see the church but I'm not sure what else. So you think a day is enough? If we were to leave lake como early could we do it on our way to Torino? Is ther a place to store luggage? What is there in Milan that we shouldn't miss?

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
677 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for northern Italy

To Mesh: you are welcome!

To North... : By "church" you mean the Cathedral, don't you? Yes I think you should see it, the "Duomo. Yes, I think one night is enough. I'm not sure I understand you other questions. Yes, if you leave Como Lake in the morning, you could go to Milan ,just see piazza del Duomo (and a short walk around, maybe in Galleria, that is: looking at the Duomo facade, to the left) and then go on to Torino. I'd say you should be able to leave luggage at the station, in Milan, but I'm not an expert and may be you could post this question on the Milan forum. Fast trains from Milan to Turin run more than every hour (look at Trenitalia but also at Italotreno) but I know nothing about Como Lake, sorry.

Have a nice trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for northern Italy

ENFO. Thanks for your reply..you answed my questions. I will look into lake como more. As long as you think 8-10 hours in Milan is long enough to see a few parts.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
677 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for northern Italy

Yes I do. Have a nice trip!

10. Re: Itinerary for northern Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 04:17