We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Venice by Train

Catania, Italy
1 post
Save Topic
Rome to Venice by Train

I already have all reservations made but one. I'm planning a trip from Rome to Venice and I don't really know how I want to go about doing thins except that I know I want to take a train and that I want to tour the canal on the gondola. I'm planning this trip in order to propose to my girlfriend and I knind of would like things to flow. I want to be able to get off the train and be near a part of the canal to where I can board, then travel to the end of the canal, depart somewhere to eat and board a train back to Rome. I'm on such a time hack because the day I plan on traveling to Venice, I have a 2pm check in with my next hotel so it kind of puts me on a time hack. I know the train ride is 3 hrs and 45 mins so I'll want to leave by 3pm and get there 645 pm. Leaving an hour to travel the canal, pop the question, eat with some wine and doard the train back to Rome. Can anybody give me advice on how to plot where I'll depart and where I'll board trains and the canal. I know the canal ends by Venezia S Lucia so would it be better to drop off at Venezia Mestre and depart on a canal from there?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,000 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

Take a train from Roma Termini to Venezia Santa Lucia. Mestre station is on the mainland and nowhere near any canal.

As you walk out of Santa Lucia station, you will immediately see the vaporetto landing stages (the stop is called Ferrovia). Buy vaporetto tickets (€7 per person per journey) and take Line 1 or Line 2 along the Grand Canal to San Marco.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

If I understand correctly you want to go to Venice leaving Rome after 15.00 and returning the same evening? Is that right?

From what I see on Trenitalia and Italotreno it can't be done. You could leave on the 14.50 from Termini arriving Venezia S.L. at 18.35. But the last Freccia train back leaves Venezia 19.25 (trenitalia) or 18.55 (Italotreno).

Train experts may correct me if I'm wrong.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

Appia is right... your purpose is not doable unless you leave at least one - better two - hours before from Rome.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

If I may hardtop......you live in Italy and maybe your girlfriend does as well. Do you really want to spend 8 hours ca. on trains in one afternoon/evening just for an hour or so in Venice? I agree Venice is an ideal place to propose, but not if you are stressed out from all that travelling.

Just my personal opinion.

Edited: 27 October 2013, 10:00
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,878 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

I agree with others that you're trying to do too much in one day. You may want to see if you can check into your hotel earlier (even if the room is not ready they may let you check in and watch your bags) so you can get on the train earlier. If not, I would make other plans. If you leave Rome at 3 you won't get to Venice until 7. By the time you find a gondola and ride it it will be at least 8:30 or 9:00. Then you need to have dinner which will take you til at least 10:30 and then you need to make it back to the train station (11pm or so) for the 4 hour ride back to the termini station and the walk to your hotel. That puts you arriving back in Rome at 3am and getting to your hotel by about 3:30am.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't sound romantic to me at all. You might want to do this as an overnight instead of a day trip.

Donna

6. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 04:18