We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparing Italo vs. Frecciarossa rail fares in one Web site?

United States
Level Contributor
471 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Comparing Italo vs. Frecciarossa rail fares in one Web site?

Hi there,

I'm looking for fares for Italian trains -- how do I compare the two operators (Frecciarossa vs. Italo) in one place? Is there one Web site where I can search a city pair and find the price on both train operators? Do the two operators ever even serve the same cities? I'm confused -- please help.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,645 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparing Italo vs. Frecciarossa rail fares in one Web site?

You cannot compare the prices on one web site. It would be impossible to keep such a site up-to-date, as the prices keep changing as each fare bucket sells out. Trenitalia serves all of Italy, while Italo serves only some main cities.

See www.trenitalia.com and www.italotreno.it/EN

United States
Level Contributor
471 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparing Italo vs. Frecciarossa rail fares in one Web site?

Ah, ok -- thank you very much! So, for the high-speed trains it's best book in advance, but local and regional Italian train prices don't really vary and can just be purchased right at the station before travel?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,645 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparing Italo vs. Frecciarossa rail fares in one Web site?

For high speed trains, you get the best prices by booking when tickets go on sale, which is usually 4 months before travel for Trenitalia and a bit less predictable for Italo. Look at the T&C for discounted tickets: the really cheap tickets are strictly "No change, no refund".

The local (Regionale) train services are all run by Trenitalia*, and there is no point in trying to book in advance over the Internet. These trains have no seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no discounts. Tickets bought in Italy can be used on any Regionale train for the journey purchased. Before you get on the train, you must time-stamp the tickets in a machine at the station to prevent them from being used again.

*Apart from some local services near Milan, Naples, etc.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 05:28
4. Re: Comparing Italo vs. Frecciarossa rail fares in one Web site?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 04:18