We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancelled cruise now what?

Redding, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
cancelled cruise now what?

We cancelled our 7 day cruise leaving out of Genoa June 2014. We now have 7 days to book.

We have reservations in Nice on 8th day. So that is a consideration. We also have booked 2 days in Milan at the end of our 3 weeks. Places already booked are Nice, Bergamo, Florence and Bologna. I would love to see a brief trip to Rome but my hubby isn't crazy about it. It would be quick but really would love to see some history. I know it is a lot of places and we given 3 or 4 days in several. This is most likely my only trip for certain reasons. Welcoming suggestions

Mentioned in this post
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Bergamo
Bergamo
Province of Bergamo, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancelled cruise now what?

How about Genoa itself or Turin or Cinque Terre? If you have at least 4 days in Florence then you could take a day trip to Rome. One day in Rome may not be too much for your husband and you will have experienced it even if it is just for a day. By fast train it takes about 90minutes from Florence to Rome.

Mentioned in this post
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Turin
Turin
Province of Turin, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Florence
Florence
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,676 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cancelled cruise now what?

Oh, to be so close to Rome and not go when one of you would like to? Do try - as noted, it is a fast (very fast) train to Rome from Florence. I hope you find a way to get there. It is unlike anywhere else.

You might consider the Ligurian Coast - either Cinque Terre - or Santa Margherita Ligure, Rapallo and many others - see your guidebook for the many choices if you want to consider a seaside destination. You could rent a car and spend some days exploring the countryside (Tuscan, Umbrian possibly)

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Santa Margherita Ligure
Santa Margherita Ligure
1,077 Reviews
Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy
Rapallo
Rapallo
Italian Riviera, Italy
Redding, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cancelled cruise now what?

Thank you so much. I just read the replies to my hubby and he agreed that with the fast train we should go and stay 2 days. Yippee. Now for suggestions for a hotel that is not too far from the main attractions. We are in our mid 60's and not into nightlife other than seeing some places after the crowds die down. I will also look on tripadvisor. We also added Turin for 4 days

Mentioned in this post
Turin
Turin
Province of Turin, Italy
Redding, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cancelled cruise now what?

Can we book the fast train ahead of time?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancelled cruise now what?

I think you've made the right decision about Rome it would have been a pity not to visit when you're so near and I would add another night there and do Bergamo as a day trip from Milan as Rome has so much to see that an extra day would be adviseable.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Bergamo
Bergamo
Province of Bergamo, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,936 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cancelled cruise now what?

>>Can we book the fast train ahead of time?<<

For the best prices on train travel, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Trenitalia tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns (Firenze SM Novella, Roma Termini), or from the competitor on major routes http://www.italotreno.it/EN . There are notes about online booking at www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyTrain.htm

Redding, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cancelled cruise now what?

You wont believe it but after reading some of these posts to my husband we are adding 4 more days to our trip and spending 3 days in Rome. I'm so excited. It will be out of my comfort zone but I've wanted to see these sites forever. What area is best to stay in for walking to sites and moderate priced. I've been looking on sites to compare but there are so many.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cancelled cruise now what?

Hi scissorhappyLTB,

Congratulations on choosing Rome for 3 days. It is amazing! We spent 4 nights in early October near the Spanish Steps and can't recommend this property enough.

http://www.crossingcondotti.com/index.php

It is not a hotel with a restaurant, spa etc so the price is quite reasonable. It's a collection of hotel rooms in a converted home with a reception area and common kitchenette. We absolutely would stay there again. We're in our early 60's and managed to walk to most major sights......once or twice took a cab back from those at the farthest point.

We've stayed before near Piazza Navona and still thought this was perfect.

Have a look and see what you think! :)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d107824…

We used http://www.booking.com/ with no problems for this property.

Edited: 03 November 2013, 18:53
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,337 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
30,916 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
677 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cancelled cruise now what?

Hi! my suggestion is Turin: a beautiful and easy town, Italy first capital: two nights! Or three..

Have anice stay!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Redding, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cancelled cruise now what?

Tobie,

The place looks wonderful. Being that we are in Italy for 1 month that room rate is more than I have budgeted.

EMFOrsterfirenze,

We are staying in Turin for 3 days near the beginning of our trip. Anything that is a must do in your opinion?

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Turin
Turin
Province of Turin, Italy