We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train options

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Train options

Folks

I'm looking at buying train tickets for my family from Bolzano to Vienna just before Christmas.

The tickets are SparSchiene Brenner Koop.

Q1 Would you choose a Compartment 1st class or Saloon carriage 1st class?

Q2 Any tips or tricks? e.g. I read somewhere there may be issues getting tickets validated in Austria...

Many thanks

Gary

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train options

This website may be of much more help to your question about train options. www.seat61.com

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train options

Whether to choose Compartment or Saloon only depends on your tastes... a compartment is usually quieter than a saloon but also provides less place for luggage.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,783 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train options

If there are 5 or 6 of you, a compartment gives you your own separate space.

Usually, I prefer open saloons as the view of the scenery is better - you can see it coming through all the windows in the coach side ahead of you, not merely as it passes outside your own single compartment window.

Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train options

Travelling from Paris to Venice 11/27/2013 on Itailiarail overnight train. Any suggestions regarding best or worst seat/berth assignments. Any other suggestions or tips to make the trip more pleasant / enjoyable?

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,878 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train options

ItaliaRail is an agency that sell tickets: it does not operate any trains. The Paris-Venice night train is operated by Thello and is best avoided unless you like camping in cheap hostels that are noisy and move around. See most of the posts in this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k51079…

6. Re: Train options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:18