We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the least popular time to visit Italy?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
What is the least popular time to visit Italy?

My wife and I recently returned from a trip to the British Isles. Apart from our time on the Isle of Skye - nearly everywhere worth seeing seemed so crowded. Coming from an area of very small population - this was at times a bit ordinary. Thus, I would rather put up with ordinary weather than spend half a day in a queue. I have never been to Italy so please pardon any ignorance. Basically we will be there for a month and will no doubt see the most usual sights and I hope spend some time in the countryside.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the least popular time to visit Italy?

The usual tourist destinations are busy more or less year round. If you are flexible in when you can book, probably best to go in April/May.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the least popular time to visit Italy?

October is a good month to visit Italy, when the bulk of tourists has diminished.

You have to take into account that low cost flights within Europe, are attractive to Europeans for weekends away.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,397 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the least popular time to visit Italy?

Italy is always popular but April /May is when the 'season' begins - it starts to get really busy then especially after Easter.

I would aim for mid January to the end of February - it's winter, technically off season and there are hotel bargains to be had.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the least popular time to visit Italy?

During the winter is less busy but it's also when there's less light as it gets dark around 4,30pm so you have to weigh up the pro's and cons of visiting when it's quieter.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the least popular time to visit Italy?

Apart from avoiding the coast in July and August, it is probably more important where you go if you don't like crowds. I spent a couple of weeks in Cilento in September and it was nearly empty. 40 miles away Amalfi, Sorrento and Pompeii were packed with tourists.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
492 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the least popular time to visit Italy?

"Italy" is a complex of very different places. Of course, the seaside is popular in the summer, the mountains in the winter. Some extremely popular cities like Rome, Florence, Venice, are popular and crowded 365 days a year; especially Venice which is particularly small (at least, its historic centre is). Some not popular cities, like Turin, Trieste, Bologna, Palermo... are NEVER popular and it's really pity.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the least popular time to visit Italy?

I suggest mid-March to mid-April or mid-October to mid-December for a fair compromise on weather and crowds.

We could certainly offer better answers if you tell us a few places that you feel drawn to visiting.

Our experience has always been mid-March to early-May and mid-September to early-November, and we have almost always found fair to good weather and moderate crowds - that means crowds that I could tolerate, and i seriously avoid crowds.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the least popular time to visit Italy?

Thank you so much for your views. This has helped us determine when to go. I wish I could be more forthright as to exactly where we were going but apart from Rome - we don't know yet. Thanks again to the community.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the least popular time to visit Italy?

Keep in mind that there is a reason that some places are less crowded during certain times of the year - they're not as enjoyable then for most people. Venice will have far fewer tourists in January but it can be absolutely miserable then. As pointed out, if you want to avoid crowds, you can still go during lovely weather (May and October come to mind) and choose destinations that are a little off the beaten path (say, Bergamo as an example) or time your itineraries in the more crowded cities to factor that in. (In Venice, avoid the main sites such as San Marco between 10 am and 5 pm.)

It's very easy to avoid the crowds. See these photos I've taken in Venice as an example: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwxKYeQ

It's all about the timing.

10. Re: What is the least popular time to visit Italy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 06:20