We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed! First time in Italy car rental?

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed! First time in Italy car rental?

Hi, I would really appreciate some help. we are hoping to go to Italy sometime next year but to help us decide where to stay will very much depend on how easy/difficult it is to rent a car in Italy? We don't have a credit card, only a debit card & never needed one to rent a car in Grece or Spain so my question is, how does it work in Italy? Ideally, we would like to rent a car & stay in a camp site but if we can't then we will have to do a city break instead. Many thanks in advance for any info :)

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed! First time in Italy car rental?

I don't know, but here are some thoughts:

I suspect that no one will give you a car without a credit card.

It might work if you arrange a rental through the UK office of a rental company, but even then when you get to the office in Italy they would probably demand a card.

Call Avis or Hertz and ask them, but you will still be at the mercy of the rental office in Italy.

2. Re: Advice needed! First time in Italy car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:18