We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help - May 2014

London, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help - May 2014

Hi folks,

My wife and I are looking at 2 to 3 weeks in Italy this May - probably leaving around May 19 and returning home in early June.

She wants to see the Amalfi Coast but we are lookign at starting in Rome and ending in Venice so I am wondering if Cinque Terre might be a better option for coastline.

I was hoping that if I list off some of the must-sees, I can get some suggestions for itinieraries from you folks.

So here goes....we'll fly into Rome and we want to see:

Rome

Siena

Florence

Venice

Would like to:

See Pisa

Spend a night or two in a town in Tuscany and do the wine thing

Spend a night or two in Amalfi Coast or inque Terre - somewhere on the Mediterranean coast.

Ideas for Tuscany include Greve and San Gimignano...

For Pisa, I know there is a quick train form Florence and you can go in the morning and come back in the evening. But I am not sure about the smaller place sin Tuscany...can we take trains or will I have to rent?

Best Seller
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,951 reviews
from US$76.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$411.30*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,814 reviews
from US$123.40*
Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,692 reviews
from US$112.20*
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,364 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help - May 2014

Check for a multi city air ticket fly into Rome and out of Venice, save back tracking.

Bus Rome to Siena www.sena.it

Bus from Siena to Florence and in rural Tuscany www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

Trains Florence to Pisa, Lucca, Monterosso (Cinque Terre) and to Venice www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times.

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

www.discovertuscany.com www.aboutpisa.info www.lucca.ca

www.incinqueterre.com

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

nb: It is possible to take a day excursion to Pompeii Scavi by Trenitalia train Rome to Naples, transfer to Naples lower basement station for the train to Sorrento and Pompeii www.eavcampania.it

www.pompeiisites.org

London, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help - May 2014

This is great, thank you very much...I will check out all of those cites. That rural travel link will be very helpful as well.

Can you make any recommendations on Cinque Terre vs Amalfi Coast?

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help - May 2014

I would recommend the Amalfi Coast, if you are looking for a relaxing gorgeous beach vacation for part of your trip - but only if you have 3 weeks. If you only have 2 weeks you do not have enough time for the AC or CT.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help - May 2014

We can do 3 weeks...I'd like to be just under....that gives us a few days to relax before we go back to work. But we'll see.

What about something like this

3 nights Amalfi Coast

4 nights Rome

2 nights Siena

3 nights putting around Tuscan towns

3 nights in Florence (maybe 4 if we go to Pisa for a day)

3 nights in Venice

...before you say those aren't long enough stops, you should know we do major sights and major works of art - but we aren't museum people, we're more wanderers than anything (went to the Louvre to see Mona Lisa, Venus De Milo and Winged Victory then hit the streets)......

That would put us at a max of 19 nights, leaving home Saturday May 24 and arriving back home Saturday June 7.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 20:16
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help - May 2014

Looking better, but I would adjust the order:

3 nights Venice (it is easier to get over jetlag in Venice since you have to walk everywhere)

3 nights Florence, then pick up car and

4 nights putting around Tuscany, including visiting Siena, then drop car in Orvieto and train to

4 nights Amalfi Coast (to really relax and see the beauty of the AC), then

4 nights Rome, from where you fly home.

I understand about not being museum people - I have been to Paris 3 times and still haven't been in the Louvre! But don't underestimate how much time you can spend just wandering - especially in places like Venice and Rome. And don't underestimate how much time you lose each time you change cities - a half-day generally (packing, check out of hotel, get to train station, train ride, get from train station to hotel, check in, drop bags, then lunch).

If you want more specifics on the AC, just message me - Positano is my favorite place in all of Italy, after 6 trips to Italy!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help - May 2014

That looks fine to me, provided you can get an open jaw ticket. After visiting the Amalfi coast, that is the only place on this list that you might feel like you did not have enough time. There is a lot to see/do, and even if you do nothing you want to do it forever!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help - May 2014

Hey great, thank you and I will definitely message you.

If we start in Venice as you recommend, will the weather be decent? The reason I had the north most places at the end was because I thought it would be warmer if we got there in early June, but will it really make a difference then being in Venice mid-May?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help - May 2014

LuvGoin,

You thinking 4 nights in Amalfi, eh? Looks pretty amazing and very walkable...

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Help - May 2014

If you think you may want to swim, then I'd definitely go from north to south.

Yes, at least 4 nights for AC for three full days--especially if you want to visit Naples, Pompeii, etc.

Barrington, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Help - May 2014

We have been to Italy in May/June and it is always warm, have done Lake Como/Milan in May and Rome in early June. We have stayed in Sorrento at a lovely B&B and they arranged a driver to do the AC in a day stopping along the way, as the Amalfi coast hwy is not a relaxing drive with many hairpin turns, rather have a driver then it's relaxing and you can't really walk from one town to the next as they are built out from rock looking over the sea, which makes them so lovely. Also take a ferry out to Ischia instead of doing the Capri thing as it is where the locals go to relax. We are staying also for 2 week in Italy from late May to early June 2014 but we are starting in the Dolomites this time, going down to Greve in Chianti then on to Venice as we have been to the other places. One very nice walled city is Lucca and it's on the train line from Florence and you can get to Pisa (only worth a stay to see the few sights). You can also get a train from Lucca to Cinque Terra which we did in a day complete with walking the hardest part from Montorosso to Vernazza, so you may consider Lucca as a base to visit Florence, Pisa, and Cinque Terra. If you have a car there are winery tours and spa towns near there and many day trips as beach towns are not even an hour away.