We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Arrangements within Italy

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Arrangements within Italy

Interior travel suggestions needed! We are planning a 16 day trip to Italy in March (7-23) 2014 & want to go to Brindisi (2 day visit) and then Florence & Rome. When we fly into Rome, we thought we'd immediately go to Brindisi and then up to Florence & make our way back to Rome, and then home. Question is, should we fly to Brindisi or train it? And from Brindisi to Florence, fly or train it? We figure we'd train one of those legs and fly the other one. Which one would be more scenic from train? Is there something good to see on those routes that we should see by train?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,604 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Arrangements within Italy

Rome to Brindisi is about a 5 hour train ride - that would mean arriving there probably about 7 to 8 hours after you land in Rome after an international flight; I can't imagine that personally. Also, if you go to the Trenitalia site, you will see there are not that many trains to Brindisi each day - at least not for a date I randomly chose from next week. The Regional train train takes 11 hours. Look at the site to see when they run -

From Brindisi to Florence, the times range from over 7 hours to over 10 hours on the train - again, check that site to get an idea.

When you go to www.trenitalia.com, click on the little UK flag upper right to change it to English - choose a date in the near future to get an idea of what the schedule is like, use the names Roma Termini, Brindisi, Firenze S M Novella, put a low number like 6 in the box for the hour to get a full day train schedule.

Oh, and train tickets are point to point so getting off to check out somewhere on your way to somewhere else doesn't really work. Regional trains, the longest trains, do not have reserved seats and once validated can be used for 6 hours but even then, that would give you a bare minimum of time to jump off and take a peek at somewhere else.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 20:28
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Arrangements within Italy

Ahhh....that's interesting information. I forgot about the intl flight situation. So, maybe we'd be best simply to fly to Brindisi directly from Rome. Then, rest/recover when we're in Brindisi. I just wish there was some sort of scenic sites then, between Brindisi & Florence, so that we could break that trip up, at least. I would love to see more than just the big cities, but because of the distances, we dont seem to be able to do that.

Your train help, though, just gave me an idea to perhaps stop somehwere along the way before Florence for one night. Just to experience another place.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,604 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Arrangements within Italy

Maybe you can rent a car between Brindisi and Florence (ditch the car and never drive into Florence - all sorts of potential problems re: ZTLs) - but that would give you the freedom to do some exploring.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,142 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Arrangements within Italy

the initial day is a waste so you might as well use jet lag day getting onto your first main destination -- I think your plan is basically good

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Arrangements within Italy

Yes, but would you go to Brindisi on the train or by plane?

6. Re: Travel Arrangements within Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 05:17