We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many cities in 10 days?

Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How many cities in 10 days?

I'm taking my daughter to Italy in April. We'll arrive in Venice on a Sunday and leave out of Pisa a week from the following Tuesday. I'd planned to be in Florence at the end. Would it be too rushed to go all the way to Rome in the middle? She's never been to Italy before and I thought Rome would be beautiful in April. Any suggestions?

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many cities in 10 days?

Do you have 10 full days on the ground in Italy? If so you could do something like 4 days Venice, 4 days Rome, and 2 days Florence--depending on your interests. A little rushed, but not terrible. If you don't have 10 full days on the ground, stick with two cities and maybe a day trip or two.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,949 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many cities in 10 days?

Having ten full days in Italy Trains Venice to Rome to Florence to Pisa Aeroporto

www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times.

Pisa airport bus www.terravision.eu

Bus Florence to Siena www.trainspa.it.timetable

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

www.discovertuscany.com

Regional info Veneto, Lazio and Tuscany www.italia.it/en/home.html

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many cities in 10 days?

You should count nights in each city, not days, because 10 days on the ground doesn't add up to four+four+2 in three different cities. What's missing are the travel days, unless you have a magic carpet. If you have ten full days on the ground in Italy (meaning that you'll spend 11 nights in Italy, you will have four nights+four nights+two nights in three cities. In each case the number of full days in each city will be one less than the number of nights. Of course, you'll also have some part of the travel days to spend at each new destination, but usually you don't get much done that day.

I feel as though Rome requires more time than either Florence or Venice, because it's a much larger city, with many things to see. I would suggest three nights in Venice, four nights in Rome, and three nights in Florence, and perhaps a final night in Pisa. You really don't need to change hotels to spend a night in Pisa for the flight home, unless you have a very early flight, because you can get direct trains or shuttle buses from Florence to Pisa airport. However, if you're planning to visit Pisa in any case, you might as well get a hotel there rather than take a day trip from Florence. It depends on your preferences, and the time of your flight home.

The number of nights I suggest would depend on your interests. Florence has an unbelievable concentration of Renaissance art, and seeing more than a little of it requires some time. However, if you're not much interested in museums or Renaissance art, two nights in Florence might be enough. The city is fairly small, so you can see the major piazzas, a few of the churches with great art displayed inside, and a museum or two, in one day. I myself would add the extra night to Rome.

Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many cities in 10 days?

We'll arrive in Venice at 12:30 on Sunday and leave from Pisa at 1:15 a week from the following Tuesday. Now that I look at it that way we have 8 full days on the ground. (I guess the 10 days was wishful thinking.) Any suggestions for what we might do in addition to Venice and Florence?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many cities in 10 days?

What kinds of things interest you?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many cities in 10 days?

Ideally a couple of days more would have been better but I would definitely add Rome to the itinerary especially as your daughter has never been to Italy, I would do 3 nights in Venice and 4 nights in rome before heading to Florence.

Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many cities in 10 days?

Thanks for all your input. I keep going back and forth on this. I think my daughter will be happy just walking around beautiful Italian cities. She does not like standing in line for art museums, but I had hoped to take her to the Sistine Chapel. Then again if I take her to Rome it will be the days right before Easter, so the Vatican might be out of the question. If we're in Venice for 3 nights and Rome for 4 nights, that leaves 2 nights for Florence. We'll have to take a morning training to Pisa on the last day but I don't think that is a problem. The alternative would be 3-4 nights in Venice and 4 nights in Florence with day trip()s to Sienna etc. Then spend the last night in Pisa.

Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many cities in 10 days?

You guys are right! I'm going to take her to Rome. Good to know you don't think it's to rushed.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,370 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many cities in 10 days?

Probably something along the lines of:

Venice 2 days

Rome 3-4 days

Florence 2 days, with an option for Siena day trip

Pisa 1/2 day if you can. The Tower climb is quite interesting.

10. Re: How many cities in 10 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17