We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to set a base for seven weeks in Italy

Greensboro, North...
1 post
Save Topic
Where to set a base for seven weeks in Italy

My wife and I are going to Italy and spending about seven weeks(April 20 to June 8). We are trying to find a good base to stay for local flavor and also to drive around. We've been to Tuscany, Umbria, Rome, Sorrento area, and Naples. So, somewhere other than those areas. Thanks. We were thinking of the eastern side of the country, and also have another few weeks for the western side. So, suggestions for both would be great.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to set a base for seven weeks in Italy

Wonderful holiday, it sounds like!

When you say "eastern," are you thinking of north toward Venice, Trieste, from Rimini area up or maybe south east from Polignano al Mare south to Lecce in Puglia?

I was in Puglia last April 2012, and it was so cold, rainy and windy that I lasted about 4-5 days and gave up, heading somewhere else. Puglia is unique--I think people either really like it or it doesn't resonate with then at all.

I chose a cottage on the sea in Sestri Levante this year for 6 weeks. I was there from mid-May and all of June. Along the sea in Liguria, from Savona all the way down past La Spezia, it was COLD and rainy and very unpleasant weather for most of the time, sadly. It finally became sunnier mid-June. I had a month of heater, wool blankets, pajamas bought at the market, brrr. I adored the location, the town, the people, weekly market, but sheesh, being on the sea in ugly weather wasn't that fabulous.

I just got home a week ago after about 3.5 weeks in Piemonte and eastern Liguria. I stayed for 10 nights in Bordighera. FABULOUS weather, a nice, safe, pleasant, pretty seaside town. Hills, long promenade that was nice to walk along even in November, though one day a front blew through and it was chilly. Lots of people ride their bikes, walk and jog in the area. Good weekly market. Plenty of transport to San Remo, you can see Nice and Monaco...I really enjoyed this area. Beautiful centro storico with good restaurants. Easy train schedule and local buses. I stayed in a sea-view hotel and ended up spending what I could've spent for a month apartment rental. If you think about Bordighera, I took the information of what seems like the #1 apartment rental agency there. Let me know and I'll post their info.

Sicily?

I think you need to narrow it down a bit: Ocean? City? Mountains? Does weather mean a lot to you? Will you have a car or do you need to be near public transport lines? Budget?

Happy travels!

Lana

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to set a base for seven weeks in Italy

I have become very fond of the Veneto region with a base in Vittorio Veneto. Easy access to Venice, Treviso, Padua, and others by train and plenty of nice drives.

TAB

3. Re: Where to set a base for seven weeks in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17