We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Italy - Need a final beach destination

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Italy - Need a final beach destination

Hello all,

I am in the very early stages of planning a honeymoon in Italy. We will be arriving August 24 or 25, 2014.

Our initial plan is to fiy into Venice, spend a few nights there, then Tuscany, then Rome, then Amalfi Coast, and then hopefully spend a few nights in a very beautiful beach area.

Any suggestions on where to spend the last few days/nights that would have a very laid back, beach resort type feel?

We are planning on staying about 2 weeks total, and the first 4 stops will be a lot of sightseeing and traveling and we want to spend the last couple days relaxing before we head home.

Thanks!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Italy - Need a final beach destination

With Venice, Tuscany, Rome and the AC, you really don't have time for another destination. Why not have your laid-back beach time while you are on the Amalfi Coast? We usually stay in Positano and absolutely adore a lazy day at Laurito Beach, including lunch at Da Adolfo's in our swimsuits. While in Positano you can also rent a boat to explore the numerous coves and hidden beaches.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Italy - Need a final beach destination

That's a good suggestion. I guess, from what I've read so far I was under the impression that during August, I would be hardpressed to find a relaxing, beach to lounge around at for a few days. Again, I'm early in the planning stages, but I thought the beaches here were rather rocky and small compared to beaches elsewhere, and would be filled with other tourists. Am I misinformed?

Another option would be to skip the Amalfi Coast and just go from Rome to a laid back, big beach area, would you recommend this? And if so, do you have an area in mind that could suit us?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,397 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Italy - Need a final beach destination

In August you'll have difficulty finding anywhere that's not filled with other tourists. It's the month Italians take their holidays so not only will you find northern Europe/USA/Canada on Italian beaches, all the locals will be there too.

There are beaches around Rome, like Sperlonga but again, being Italian holiday season, they will all be packed. The Amalfi Coast in August is one time I would never go there simply because of the crowds. The only thing I could suggest is looking at staying in a hotel with a pool/sundeck so at least you'll have some space. Too bad your honeymoon has to be in the busiest month of the year :(

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Italy - Need a final beach destination

Yes, in August you'll be hard-pressed to find a laid-back beach in much of Italy. But it sounds like you will also be in Italy the first week of September, when some beaches quiet down for the off-season.

This year I went to Le Marche for some beach time the first week of September and can't recommend it highly enough. You can read my trip report if you're interested: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194759-i17045-k68…

Note that many (most?) Italian beaches differ from our expectations in the US: most space is given for pay establishments with rows of chairs. And rock, rocky, or pebbly beach is common. They have their charms but you need to be aware of the differences.

Level Contributor
1,313 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Italy - Need a final beach destination

We were in positano last August (towards months end) and I did not find it overly crowded. We stayed at Hotel Marincanto which has a stunning pool and steps (many) down to the beach. Yes, the beach had a lot of people but it is summer and we never had a problem getting chairs at any time of day. There was one end of the beach right under the hotel that was for adults only - our children were with us so we walked over a few rows to where families were. Positano in August, while hot, was really lovely. No problem with crowds for us and we had no problem getting into any restaurant even day of reservations through our hotel concierge. Our hotel was midway up the hill which allowed for easy access to town/ beach but a bit removed from center of town, boat docks etc. plus views out of a dream!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Italy - Need a final beach destination

I might suggest the Paestum area, but am sure it is just as wildly overcrowded

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Italy - Need a final beach destination

You won't have time to go anywhere else so the best beach option is definitely the AC it won't be quiet but as this is your last destination all the Italians will be back to work in September, however it will be very busy at the weekend.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Italy - Need a final beach destination

If I were you I'd avoid beach in August.

I would probably change the route and go first to the Amalfi and then to Tuscany. I'm telling you that because if you would like to have some relaxing days at the end of your honeymoon in Tuscany countryside you can find fantastic Spa not so crowded. There you can have romantic treatments and relaxing days under the Tuscan sun!

9. Re: Honeymoon in Italy - Need a final beach destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2013, 14:28
Media, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Italy - Need a final beach destination

While we specifically booked our vacation in early October to avoid the crowds in Positano, I might still recommend The Hotel Maricanto as did another forum writer. It has all the amenities you have asked for and more. The reasons we chose this hotel is because it is right on the beach, it has a gorgeous infinity pool and the hotel is stunningly beautiful but not pretentious. This goes for the rooms, the views and perfect placement in Positano. The employees of Hotel Marincanto will do everything to make your stay a fabulous one. (I've got pictures of the views from our terrace, the hotel from the sun deck and steps and of Positano. If you'd like to view them let me know.) Swimming in the Tyrreahnian Sea right from the pebbly beach is a real asset plus all of the outdoor cafés are right there. If you want a special night out, try Music on the Rocks-a night club built into the mountain. It's an experience to be sure!