We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need recommendations for Train route of Italian Cities

Texas City, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Need recommendations for Train route of Italian Cities

We will be in Italy in March 2014. Need recommendations on which train route to take if we want to visit Rome, Florence, Pisa, Milan & Venice. I know that Rome, Florence and Pisa are aligned going North (I think). Should we take Milan first before Venice, travelling by train?

Thank you for your help.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,212 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need recommendations for Train route of Italian Cities

You don't say how long your trip is or where you're flying into/out of, and that has a bearing. Assuming you're flying into Rome, I would then take the train to Florence. From Florence, Pisa is an easy day trip by taking the train for a 1 hour trip.

From Florence I would then go to Venice, and finally Milan.

I would get an open-jaw flight so I wouldn't have to back track to Rome or whatever your starting point is.

Texas City, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need recommendations for Train route of Italian Cities

Thank you St. Marys, OH. You actually answered my question. I was trying to limit my inquiry into fewer words. Actually, we are flying into Rome from Paris and need to fly back to Paris, either from Venice or Milan. From your recommendation, it really looks like flying out of Milan to Paris has more options than Venice. My point was not to back track to Rome again via train. We will be in Italy for 7 days.

Thanks again.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need recommendations for Train route of Italian Cities

Agree, check for a multi city air ticket, fly into and out of either Rome or Milan save back tracking.

Trains www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times.

Rome - Florence - Venice - Milan and to Malpensa Aeroporto

Bus Florence to Siena www.busfox.om.timetable

Trenitalia train excursions Florence to Pisa and Lucca, Rome to Orvieto, Venice to Verona and Padova .

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

www.discovertuscany.com www.aboutpisa.info www.lucca.ca

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice

www.ciaomilano.com www.timeout.com/milan

Regional info Lazio, Umbria, Tuscany, Veneto, Lombardy www.italia.it/en/home.html

Edited: 05 December 2013, 03:54
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,959 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need recommendations for Train route of Italian Cities

Direct train is also a viable alternative for Milan-Paris. For centre-to-centre travel it takes not too much longer than flying once you take into account the long journeys to and from airports either end and the airport security and check-in times, has more leg-room and is usually cheaper.

See http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ putting your country as Antarctic rather than USA to avoid transfer to a more expensive website. The train leaves from a different station to the one you arrive at from Venice, but it's still centrally located

5. Re: Need recommendations for Train route of Italian Cities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2014, 06:19