We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 School Holidays

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
2014 School Holidays

Does anyone know when the Italian school holiday dates for 2014 will be officially announced? I've found plenty of sites with provisional dates, but no definite ones. I'm planning to (among other places) visit the Amalfi coast in September, but I'd dearly love to avoid the school holidays.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2014 School Holidays

Most schools are back weeks 1 or 2 of September. If you plan for late September/early October you should be fine.

Having said that, I was there at that time just recently and although the Italian kids were back at school, the French kids were on holidays and the UK kids were having a break too, so it's hard to avoid school holidays completely.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2014 School Holidays

Thanks again Kathy. I had thought that holidays ended at the end of August, but that's clearly not the case.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2014 School Holidays

It depends on the area as they don't all start back at the same time but it's usually between the 10th and 17th of September.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2014 School Holidays

Thanks Chrella, it's Campania I'm most concerned about. I want to be there as early in September as possible without clashing with school holidays. I've checked out many websites, and all the holidays are listed as "provisional", and say sometime between the beginning and middle of September. I'm mainly wondering when the provisional dates will be confirmed.

Turin
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 2014 School Holidays

Never heard of any kid going back to school before the 10th of september and after the 20th. Provisional in this range

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2014 School Holidays

Thanks everyone! Looking at the 2014 calendar, that would suggest the 15th is the most likely date (I assume they start back on a monday?). I don't mind being in cities at the end of the summer school holidays, but I'd prefer to avoid the holiday towns - apart from anything else, bookings are hard to get.

West Chester...
Level Contributor
963 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2014 School Holidays

By 9/6 this year we didn't see any more children out during the day when we traveled around Venice, but later afternoon they seemed to be out in the piazzas. Almost no non-Italians families by then that we ran into and even they were only on the weekends, We had been told that some college age Italian students woukld have gone back to college early to look for housing. There were quite a number of college aged young people in Florence when we were there on the 11th and maybe still around by the 16th when we were in Rome.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,251 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2014 School Holidays

Not yet determined, but here's the 2013-2014 schedule for Campania.

www.comuni-italiani.it/15/calendario.html

Vagabonda

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2014 School Holidays

Thanks again. I was in Florence and Bologna at the beginning of September this year, and don't remember seeing too many kids either. Anyway, it's not that I don't want to see kids, I just don't want to be on the Amalfi Coast during school holidays. I think it will probably be busy enough without competing with families as well.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2014 School Holidays

HI ,on the Italian school holiday debate,does anyone know when the school holidays May/June are/Thanks,Tracy