We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bologna -- Should I not spend 2 nights here?

Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Bologna -- Should I not spend 2 nights here?

I'm flying into Venice (2 nights), going to Verona (1 night) and was intending to stay 2 nights in Bologna before heading to Turin (staying 1 night) to fly out the next day. However, during my research I was reading the Rick Steve's guide which says don't even bother with Bologna.

I dont want to spend 2 nights in a place where it might not be worth it when that could be spent elsewhere. But I didnt want to make a decision based on one book. Any thoughts from you guys would be super appreciated.

Thanks!

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bologna -- Should I not spend 2 nights here?

I like Bologna, and would be happy to spend two or three nights there if not more. Now, given that, Bologna is not Rome, nor Milan, nor London - but presumably you knew that. There will not be the great weight of "don't miss" sights, or tourists, or famous hotels. you will probably not go home bragging to your friends that you spent two nights in Bologna. It is different from other Italian cities, with some beautiful historic sites. You probably need to study a guide book or two to make up your own mind on this one.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,431 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bologna -- Should I not spend 2 nights here?

Reading that Rick Steves doesn't like Bologna makes my day - I adore it and if he is discouraging people, it can remain a delightful Medieval city not drowning in tourists (no offense as I am one myself but so few such amazing cities are left that haven't been "found" to the extent that others have).

The way I make my choices of where to visit is by reading up on them and what there is to explore and enjoy there and if those things are of interest to me, I go - which is what I did with Bologna and will be returning again - and again.

But, without knowing your interests, I don't know how someone can help you decide whether to visit there or not. A good guidebook would be a good source to read if you keep it as a possibility or you could add another night or two to Venice since you barely have time there to see anything of that great city. That's what I would do if Bologna doesn't appeal to you - 4 nights would equal 3.5 half days in Venice, enough to get an idea of Venice (and one can easily spend more time there) - This way you save the hassle of traveling so much on such a brief trip.

Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bologna -- Should I not spend 2 nights here?

Thanks so much! The reason I wanted to go to Bologna is for the food lover in me -- because I was under the impression that it was the food capital of Italy (or one of the top ones). I think I will go ahead and add another night in Venice -- 3 nights there, 1 night in Verona and perhaps 1 night in Bologna & then the 6th night in Turin.

Thanks so much! =o)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,431 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bologna -- Should I not spend 2 nights here?

You then won't have much time for all the amazing food - or to enjoy the stunning architecture, markets, the porticoes - well, you will figure it out.

Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bologna -- Should I not spend 2 nights here?

ahhh.. decisions decisions.

Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bologna -- Should I not spend 2 nights here?

Ravenna vs Bologna -- thoughts?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bologna -- Should I not spend 2 nights here?

I would not expect Bologna to be any kind of a "food capital" of Italy, although we have had some wonderful meals there.

Every region of Italy, and almost every city (excepting Venice and Rome) has its own culinary style that will be done exceptionally well, and deserves attention.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,946 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bologna -- Should I not spend 2 nights here?

Bologna has plenty to do there. Google map with sights marked

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bologna -- Should I not spend 2 nights here?

<<<< I would not expect Bologna to be any kind of a "food capital" of Italy, although we have had some wonderful meals there. >>>>

In fact, Bologna has long been renowned for its cuisine. Before pizza parlours became ubiquitous, Spaghetti Bolognese was probably most people's introduction to Italian cooking. It's also well-known for its cured meats and Bologna sausage, not to mention the wines of the area.

Bologna
Level Contributor
164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bologna -- Should I not spend 2 nights here?

An article about Bologna and its food...

forbes.com/sites/…