We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome, Venice, Florence on a weekend...

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rome, Venice, Florence on a weekend...

Hi all,

I know each of these cities are major tourist destinations, so I will be expecting crowds.

However is one of these cities especially dreadful on the weekend?

For instance we made the mistake of timing our trip to Dublin on a weekend a few years back and it was so crowded we could even get inside some of the pubs to hear the musicians!

Just trying to figure out the lesser of three evils. ;-)

Thanks for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,048 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome, Venice, Florence on a weekend...

At what time of year??

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome, Venice, Florence on a weekend...

Around Mid March 2014

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,230 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome, Venice, Florence on a weekend...

These Cities are busy most of the time, with Venice weekends are busy on the other hand even in the week when the Cruise liners are in dock, thousands of extra visitors, better early or late in the day,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,048 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome, Venice, Florence on a weekend...

None of these cities are likely to be particularly crowded in mid-March. The summer crowds are mainly foreign tourists, and the day of the week does not greatly affect their numbers.

In Rome and Venice, it is always possible to get away from crowds by getting a block or so away from any major tourist sight.

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome, Venice, Florence on a weekend...

"In Rome and Venice, it is always possible to get away from crowds by getting a block or so away from any major tourist sight."

I don't mind exploring off the beaten path, but is it safe to do so? I don't know these cities so don't know where is safe away from the main tourist paths.

But any inside tips you can share would be appreciated. :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,230 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome, Venice, Florence on a weekend...

Venice is very safe, there are virtually no, no go areas, but like anywhere be aware,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,048 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome, Venice, Florence on a weekend...

All of Venice is safe, as are the central areas of Rome and Florence. Any kind of physical attack is very rare. However, you should always be alert for the possibility of pickpockets.

I would not suggest you get away from the main sights if I thought it could be unsafe.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 09:42
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome, Venice, Florence on a weekend...

We haven't been to Venice recently so would rely on the prior posts (#3, etc.) regarding crowds there. For Rome and Florence at that time of year, only right AT the major sites will it be somewhat more crowded, but the nearby areas are typical streets that should be fine, actually quite pleasant. Valuables should always be inaccessible to anyone but the owner.

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome, Venice, Florence on a weekend...

"I would not suggest you get away from the main sights if I thought it could be unsafe"

Whew! I actually I thought you were plotting to get us in an alley to take my shoes! (grin)

It's good to know that violence is low, and yes I've heard of the pick pockets. We'll have deep front pockets and if someone takes off with my purse, they'll be sorely disappointed to find a water bottle and lip gloss.

So when you say to get away from the crowds by going a few blocks, is there any particular places you're referring to or rather walking around the city soaking up the atmosphere. (love doing that!)

Thanks for your advice! :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome, Venice, Florence on a weekend...

You will discover places just by walking around. In Rome, Via Giulia and Piazza Farnese are quieter areas worth exploring away from the more crowded Campo de Fiori, and any number of the streets around (but not at) Piazza Navona have their own charm (Via Governo Vecchio, for example). If you have a particular interest like wine bars, Googling that will also help you find them.