We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I decide?

Austin
Level Contributor
539 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How do I decide?

I have posted numerous times and tried various tactics/forums to seek answers. What remains is a bit of frustration at not being able to nail down the last 6 unscheduled nights of our trip this May/June 2014.

My wife and I will be making our second trip to Italy and will have been in Italy for about three weeks when a 6 night trip to the coast (early June) sounds like the perfect fit.

What prompted this latest post is that I just discussed my frustration with my wife. What emerged from this is that we really want a place that makes us feel like..

."Wow...we're really Here!"

The criteria is simple...a dramatic beautiful coastline...rocky with picturesque beaches...and a picturesque town or two to explore. The doesn't have to be an emphasis on churches, archeological sites or museums for this portion of our trip. It's more about "feel of location"....and the food of course! ;-)

Candidates:

1. Tropea or a combination of Tropea and a few other places. Perhaps time spent on an Aeolian Island?

2. Sicily with emphasis on beaches...perhaps in combination with Aeolian Islands or Tropea?

3. Stay the whole time on one of the Aeolian islands...visit the others?

4. Going to Puglia...but not really seeing Puglia...and staying on the Gargano peninsula....visiting towns in the area and hitting the beaches.

5. Returning to the Amalfi Coast area...but staying in another town...perhaps basing on the island of Capri and doing a day trip into Naples for pizza and then onto Pompeii? Or basing in Ravello and hitting a few of the lesser known beaches?

6. Venturing south to the Cilento area. Places like Palinuro, Materea Scalea, Camerota

7. Staying somewhere north of Sorrento to have dramatic scenery, access to Naples, Walk of the Gods, nice beaches and the islands.

8. Something I missed....perhaps Ponza?

I truly hope I haven't irritated anyone with my indecisive nature. (because I'm actually irritating myself). Opinions and advice will be very helpful. How do I decide? is not only the subject but truly a question. If someone believes I am beyond help here on TA...then I would welcome general advice on how to best make this decision on my own.

Grazie!

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,440 Reviews
from US$82.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$412.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
6,899 Reviews
from US$112.50*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,819 Reviews
from US$60.80*
US$67.50
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,085 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I decide?

Haha no you're not irritating - it is a big decision. Your description - to me - sounds just like Positano but I think you said you've already been there. What about down the road to little Atrani? It's just past Amalfi and is really beautiful.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I decide?

hey andiron, I've been following your posts, because I can definitely relate! Narrowing down choices is always the hardest part of planning a trip for me, especially somewhere like Italy with so many good choices. It just comes down to the place I am drawn to and the ease of transportation for me.

Can you post a brief rundown of the rest of your itinerary? I think many people like to balance out geography and make suggestions that make the most sense in terms of where else you will visit.

My initial two cents:

#6 I suggested Cilento to you before, and I again endorse its beaches (and hiking, if you will have a car). I did not make it to Maratea, though, and I don't know if there is a town with the wow factor you are seeking.

#4 and #6 You do seem drawn to this area. I want to return one day myself, because there is a lot there!

# 1-3 I can't speak to.

#8, Ponza seems like really getting away from it all and is somewhere I have considered myself. See these articles:

nytimes.com/2011/…

travelandleisure.com/articles/instant-home

#4 This is a strong contender for my next vacation, in combination with Puglia. There are some gorgeous seaside hotels.

The short answer is you really cannot go wrong! Sleep on it, step away from the guide books for a few days, and something is bound to call to you. Never consider it a burden to have days like this to fill--think of how many never even leave their town--good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Maratea, Italy
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I decide?

Don't worry, I know it's difficult when there are a lot of choices.

So you want to spend 6 nights on some beaches.

You'll stay in Umbria, which is the city?

Because you can arrive in Pisa, Bologna or Roma and you can flight (just 1 hour) to Lamezia Terme (SUF), the flight rates are very cheap www.sacal.it/index.php…

At the airport you can hire a car to Maratea. When you leave Maratea you drive on the coast so if a little city seems good for you (you see the beaches near the street), you can stop there, it's not high season in June.

Have nice days in Italy.

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I decide?

I've been to Maratea, and though it is pretty, for scenery, I would have wanted to be back at my town on the Amalfi coast :) just an fyi....

Austin
Level Contributor
539 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I decide?

I very much appreciate the responses. I tend to write long posts and so I thought something may have been lost. I think I'm going to have to sleep on it....but it hasn't worked so far! LOL

So, as for my itinerary....

6 nights Rome

4 nights Florence..to include a day trip to Lucca...and maybe an excursion to a neighboring area.

6 nights Bologna....seeing at least Parma and Ferrara....etc.

9 nights Umbria....based just outside of Spello in an agriturismo. Plan on many towns small and large.

6 nights coastal...wow factor?

Back to Rome for a brief visit and then fly home.

To be honest...when I looked at Capri my initial reaction was to just say.....we only have 5 days....and it looks like perfection...beautiful "beach" clubs...breathtaking scenery....and the option to leave the island for day trip. ...so I keep it as a possibility. My hesitation is that it is putting all the eggs in one basket...and leaving the island a bit more of a production. Also of note...is Tropea. Seeing the photos put it on my bucket list. Oh...and Peschici in the Gargano looks interesting....maybe a town crawl in that area is in order? Again..just chasing my tail.

The support here is heart warming. It is indeed a very nice problem to have this choice to make.

Grazie Mille!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
6. Re: How do I decide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 06:18