We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip validation - Florence, Venice, Milan in 6 days (April)

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Trip validation - Florence, Venice, Milan in 6 days (April)

I'm from Canada, well-experienced in general travel & points world but have a few questions and want to verify my ideas

Will travel to Italy in early April 2014 - 2 adults, 3 year old, 7 month old (yes I'm brave)

all hotel will be booked on points (thank god for points)

In short, we have 6 days and 5 nights in Northern Italy, and we've decided to split it into (in order) - 2D2N in Florence first, 2D1N in Venice, then lastly 2D2N in Milan

I still want to book advanced train tickets to save money (can't beat E$9/person) and worst case I'll re-buy at BASE fares

We do realize we're travelling with children, so we'll take it easy and probably not visit any museums/churches with tickets/crazy lineup, but we'll finalize on attractions to visit once we finalize the cities first

-------------------------------------------

Tuesday

We will land into LGA-YYZ-ZRH-MXP at 10:20am

I'll book 3:15pm TrenItalia Milano-Firenze SMN (4 hours after landing) for Euro $48

We'll leisurely walk to hotel (500m from station) and take it easy, jet lag

Night #1 at ?? hotel

Wed

A day in Florence, walking around

Night #2 at ?? hotel

Thurs

We're thinking leaving early into Venice, probably around Noon

Italo train Firenze SMN to Venezia S. Lucia (Euro $60)

Night #1 @ Westin Europa Venice

Fri

To spend more time in Venice, we'll take late TrenItali train ~6pm Venezia S. Lucia - Milano Centrale (Euro $48). Taxi to hotel (E$15)

Night #1 at Radisson Blu Milan

Sat

1 day in Milan

Night #2 at Radisson Blu Milan

Sun

1 day in Milan

Check-out hotel at noon, leave luggage there

come back to hotel late afternoon to pick up luggage, taxi to Bovisa station, catch MXP Express

Night #1 at Sheraton MXP

Monday

Goodbye to Italy with 6:40am flight MXP-FRA-YYZ-LGA

-------------------------------------------

In reality, that's like 1.5D in Florence, 1.5D in Venice, and 1.5D in Milan but I don't want to sacrifice any of them if I don't have to

Please share your thoughts if it's too rushed

Thanks in advance

I'm sure I'll have other questions later, like

Q1: how much Euro cash we need? % of stores that accept Credit Card (chip+PIN)?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip validation - Florence, Venice, Milan in 6 days (April)

It is very rushed, and you will spend around a quarter of your time travelling. You will have only the most superficial impressions of these cities. But, if that is what you want ....

Don't take cash. Take a debit card and get money from ATMs out of your bank account, just like at home. Any of the larger stores will take credit cards and do not require chip-and-PIN.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip validation - Florence, Venice, Milan in 6 days (April)

You say you have 6 days, but you will be flying on 2 of them. This is a very hectic schedule, particularly with children. The baby will probably sleep through it, but I don't imagine all this travelling is going to be much fun for a 3 year old. In addition to the travelling you've mentioned, there will be getting to and from the station to your hotel in Venice and Milan. The Radisson Blu in Milan is a fair way from the historical centre as well. I think you would be better advised to choose just two of these cities.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip validation - Florence, Venice, Milan in 6 days (April)

It really sounds crazy, you will end up spending a good part of your trip travelling, checking in and out at hotels (also with children).

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip validation - Florence, Venice, Milan in 6 days (April)

Thanks for the replies, especially on CC

That is what I was afraid, originally I had 1 day less and only wanted to do Milan + Venice

but since I had 1 more day, and Florence is so close (2 hour train ride) and seems we may never return to Italy again, it seems doable

Luckily, my 3 year old is very resilient (too resilient at times for us) and I think my wife is weaker :P

I've read that Venice is doable even in a day trip, so I figure giving it 1.5D I can at least not rush it, plus hotel is really $$ in Venice to stay 1 more night. I burned 20K SPG points for 1 night

If I have to cut 1 day from a city, I think it'll be Milan also but that's even very rushing and seems unfair to Milan to only see the Duomo and surroundings in 1 day (no interest in Last Supper or Opera)

Is that advisable?

I know Radisson Blu is way out, but at least it's 30 minute Tram ride to Duomo only, and all other hotels are like $500+/night due to the Furniture Fair at that time

I'll think about it more, I try not to be a tourist stopping by cities only to take photos, but if that means "seeing all 3 world-famous Italy cities" with the only Italy trip in my life, then that may have to do. I know people can spend 30 days in one city alone and not see everything

I welcome any suggestions to "reduce" time in any of the 3 cities.

Edited: 22 December 2013, 14:58
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,523 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip validation - Florence, Venice, Milan in 6 days (April)

I can't even imagine how someone could consider Venice doable in one day. I'd personally just do two in such a brief amount of time; Florence and Venice would be my two choices but that is just because Milan doesn't do anything for me - but, that's just me. But, whoever told you Venice is doable in a day did not see Venice - at all.

6. Re: Trip validation - Florence, Venice, Milan in 6 days (April)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:16