We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lovely village with public transport in northern Italy

Perth
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lovely village with public transport in northern Italy

Hi, I am looking to rent an apartment in a lovely village in Northern Italy for two weeks during June. I want to be able to cook, take long walks, photograph and occasionally travel to other towns. I would like to be within reach of the coast (preferably Genoa or Cinque Terre) and mountains if at all possible. Looking at the map, I thought perhaps the area within a 50k radius of Tortona would be good.

My biggest drawback is needing public transport - I will not be driving, so need to be close to the train and/or bus with fairly regular services available.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lovely village with public transport in northern Italy

To explore this area, a rental car is almost essential. Apart from a few main routes, such as Florence-Siena, public transport is very sparse and is timed to meet the needs of local workers and school-children rather than tourists.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,932 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lovely village with public transport in northern Italy

I think maybe Sydneynick is mixing Tortona up with somewhere else?

But the Tortona area is not one generally frequented by tourists, and many of the villages around Tortona which are easily accessible by public transport are not particularly attractive, and have a fair amount of industrial and commercial development around them. The best suggestion I can think of is Ronco Scrivia, conveniently situated on the main train line half-way between Tortona and Genoa, served by Regional trains both from Milan and from Asti terminating in Genoa, where you change for other stations along the coast, though there is one early morning train that continues through to the Cinque Terre. What facilities are there for tourists, if any, I do not know.

You might have a much better time staying on the coast itself, for example in lovely Camogli with its ready access on foot or by boat to walks around the Portofino peninsula http://www.portofinotrek.com/trek/ and with ready access to Genoa on trains and buses and to the Cinque Terre by train.

Some other suggestions inland with access to Genoa and the Cinque Terre might be Casella, with its own small railway to Genoa (though it's a walk or bus from the Genoa terminus to the main line station) or maybe the picturesque Borzonasca, connected by buses to Chiavari on the train line between Genoa and the Cinque Terre.

Apartment rental is not always easy as these can be in short supply, and are non-existent in many places. You'd maybe do better by looking for the apartment first, then checking out the area that it's in, rather than attempting to find apartments in places which might not have any!

Edited: 26 December 2013, 11:53
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,898 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lovely village with public transport in northern Italy

Borzonasca has buses to Chiavari (www.atpesercizio.it/cartina2.php?sez=TC) which is on the railway line between Genoa and La Spezia.

However, none of the self-catering holiday rentals in the area seem to be actually in that village: tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g644247-Revi…

Perth
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lovely village with public transport in northern Italy

Thank you for the information. I am happy to spread my search for a lovely village with public transport wider. My only criteria are public transport, good produce available (wine growing area would be great), nice countryside to walk (mountains, lakes or coast would all be good), some local eateries and, if it's a larger town, a nice old centre.

If you have any suggestions at all, I'd love to hear them.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,465 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lovely village with public transport in northern Italy

Hi, have you considered Lake Garda? All the towns/villages around the lake have lovely, old historic centres and you can travel from one to another by boat or bus.

The area around Bardolino is a wine-growing region:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g194683-…

http://www.amaronetours.it/wines/bardolino

The dates for the wine festival - the Palio del Chiaretto (the local rose wine) - are May 30th to June 2nd 2014:

www.gardanews.com/eventi_lagodigarda.php…

www.bardolinotop.it/fondazione/index.php…

The north of the lake is mountainous and there are some wonderful walks. In Malcesine there's a cable car to Monte Baldo where you can get amazing views of the lake.

At the south of the lake are two towns with train stations - Peschiera and Desenzano - and both are on the Milan/Verona/Venice line.

lakegarda-exclusively.co.uk/Lake-Garda-Touri…

Perth
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lovely village with public transport in northern Italy

Thanks Scozzese, I was thinking it could be a possibility. Thanks for the information, I'll check it all out. Did you have a favourite town or village?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,465 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lovely village with public transport in northern Italy

Hi, I usually stay in the town of Garda as I love the location, the walks in the hills behind the town and the proximity to Verona Airport. From Garda there's a lovely lakeside walk to Bardolino (about 45 minutes' stroll), and from there to Lazise (about another hour).

Bardolino and Garda have a more frequent boat service than Lazise but any of these towns make good bases. This is the boat timetable from last summer to give you an idea of where you can go:

navigazionelaghi.it/file2/…201.pdf

This is the current bus timetable for the east side of the lake:

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/162.pdf

The bus service links all the towns on the eastern shore with Verona.

I also like Riva in the far north. The surrounding mountain scenery is spectacular, and there's a relatively frequent boat service to the other northern towns of Torbole, Limone and Malcesine. The downside is that travelling by boat to the south of the lake a long time - around three to four hours. Riva is also one of the furthest towns from Verona Airport.

Newton, MA
Level Contributor
278 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lovely village with public transport in northern Italy

I think your biggest challenge will be combining the concept of "village" with public transportation. I have a very strong preference for public transport (because 1. I love trains, 2. I enjoy meeting locals, 3. I don't like driving, and 4. car rentals, tolls and petrol in Italy are frightfully expensive).

However, I have found it extremely difficult to explore small towns without a car. I speak Italian fluently and have no trouble researching transport options, but I have found it very challenging to plan such a trip using public transport only.

I would suggest that you look on airbnb in the areas that interest you and then emailing the owners regarding public transport. You might find yourself having better luck in a small city. For example, there are a few rentals in the city of Alba, in Piedmont. Alba has some decent public transport links, and you would have a kitchen.

We looked long and hard to find an agriturismo near the Cinque Terre or Genoa that we could visit with out a car, but it was a struggle. I can highly recommend to you Erba Persa agriturismo in Levanto.

http://www.erbapersa.it/

Levanto is just outside the Cinque Terre, with frequent and quick train connections both to the CT towns and to Genoa and other places. You would not have your own kitchen there (unless you rent their one apartment), but you'll feel like you're in the country though you're just about a one mile walk from the train station (and they will pick you up or take you back upon arrival/departure if you have a fair amount of luggage; there is also a fridge that guests can use).

Levanto for us was an ideal town for exploring this area, and we were able to also take day trips to other towns in Liguria and the Italian Riviera.

Perth
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Lovely village with public transport in northern Italy

Thank you Scozzese and Oldhousegirl for the fantastic information. I think I'll concentrate on the Lake Garda information first as I have not been there before and do love being near mountains.

10. Re: Lovely village with public transport in northern Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 06:19