We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with a Southern Italian vacation

Madison, Wisconsin
1 post
Save Topic
Help with a Southern Italian vacation

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are planning a vacation to Italy in late March. We're thinking about 10 days or so in Italy.

I've never been to Europe, and haven't traveled much aside from a 14 day Caribbean cruise, so this will all be a new experience for me. My boyfriend has lived in Paris for multiple years, and has explored a lot of Europe. He's never been to Southern Italy, though, so we are leaning toward focusing our vacation on Rome and the Amalfi Coast.

We're in the process of planning out an itinerary. I'm thinking we'll spend a few days in Rome and then move South, visit Pompeii, see Capri, and visit some of the towns along the Amalfi coast. Southern Italy makes me a little nervous as a first time travel experience because I've heard it's a bit more wild than the rest of Italy. I'm wondering where would be a good home base in Southern Italy. Naples is an obvious first choice, but I've not really heard good things about Naples. Would Sorrento be a better option to stay for a few days? We could then plan day visits to Capri, Naples, and Pompeii. Afterwards, we could move over to a place in one of the cities on the Amalfi Coast.

Any advice would be appreciated. Most of the information on Italian vacations I've found seems to focus on Northern Italy.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,659 reviews
from US$74.24*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,425 reviews
from US$109.54*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,024 reviews
from US$60.86*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
485 reviews
from US$401.65*
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with a Southern Italian vacation

No reason to be nervous. Southern Italy as a whole is just less economically developed than is northern Italy. But it's not exactly third-world. I prefer southern Italy. For one thing, there is a seemingly endless supply of ancient Roman and Greek sites in southern Italy. Plus your euro goes a little further there.

Naples is a fascinating 3,000 year-old city, but it's a crazy and chaotic place. People either love it or hate it, few are in-between. It's crowded, but with locals, not tourists. For many, Sorrento is the ideal place to stay in the region, as it's a more relaxed resort town that caters heavily to tourists. Sorrento is convenient for visiting Pompeii, Capri, the towns along the Amalfi Coast, as well as Naples.

Late Mach is a great time to visit the region. I've been there a few times, mostly in late March and early April. The days will likely be gorgeous, but the nights can be kind of chilly. Things shouldn't be too crowded at that time of year.

Hope that helps. I'm heading to southern Italy myself in late March, but I'll be way down in Sicily. :-)

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with a Southern Italian vacation

hi: i haven't been to Naples yet but am planning a trip there (and Sicily) for next fall. I would encourage you to add a night or two in Naples....there is only one Naples and you are with your cosmopolitan boyfriend....all should be well and fabulous. Don't be afraid....use common sense, read good guide books before you go and explore.....buon viaggio!

3. Re: Help with a Southern Italian vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:17