We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel costs

Fulton, Missouri
1 post
Save Topic
Travel costs

Good evening, I am planning on backpacking all over Europe this upcoming summer. May 1st- July 30th. My dates are flexible a few days. I wanted to know how much money i would need to save to live out there for that amount of time. I already have a plane ticket so i don't need to worry about that, but every other expense is to be considered. I have really looked into various hostels. I also plan on walking mostly everywhere, except for moving to different cities which at this time i am not sure how i am going to do. Any general advice over these topics by anyone would be extremely appreciated. Thank you so much

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel costs

You will have to cut your holiday short by a few days, as a traveller with a US passport may not stay in the European Schengen area for more than 90 days. You could get around this by spending some time in the UK or Ireland.

The best way of travelling between towns is either by train or by low-cost airline, depending on how far apart the towns are. For the best prices on either trains or planes, book well in advance. For loads of information on train travel, see www.seat61.com

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel costs

Especially as you are young, couchsurfing in Italy may be a good option for you.

Check out www.couchsurfing.org. Airbnb will probably cost more in Italy than you want to spend, but check them. Check the box for shared room in a house rather than entire place.

Go on TripAdvisor and other sites (Lonely Planet, etc.) and type in "free [or cheap] things to do in ___" searching cities or towns where you'll be. Some nights are free for museums and outdoor events. There are almost always lots of free things go on. Other hostel guests whom you'll meet along the way will know of stuff, too.

Weekly markets in every village and city have great cheap clothes and all kinds of things for sale. Food isn't particularly inexpensive there, though, unless you find a veggie stall that has

1 euro kilo fruits and veggies, which is always a great deal.

Because churches are free (other than Vatican or some rare special churches), they're a great place to rest, get peace and quiet, put your feet up and look at beautiful art and architecture.

There are very cheap train fares, but my guess is that they won't work for you if you plan to travel a bit spontaneously. They were called "MINI" fares but I think the name changes. In order to get these great fares, you must plans months before a train and can't change things. I've never been able to get one, but others here who are planners have. If you are a person who knows what you'll be doing and where you want to be months before the date, look for those fares.

Traveling place to place will be perhaps your second highest expense after lodging while there if you can eat cheaply. Food can be a bit higher than one expects. Shopping in a large grocery store, if you're ever in one, is so much cheaper than the small markets. Picnics. If you're open to people as you go, you can share expenses if you need to share a room somewhere.

Will you bring an ipad with wifi access? If so, it's easy and cheap to put in a SIM card for the country where you'll be. I do it and it's fantastic to stay in touch, check out what's going on last minute in places where you are or are considering going, checking in and asking for advice or help on forums like this and reading reviews about pretty much everything and everywhere. I hope you'll have that with a phone that you can put in SIM cards as you travel between countries, or tablet.

Good for you that you are feeling confident and independent enough to do this! It will almost certainly change your life for the better.

Buon viaggio (good travels),

Lana

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel costs

On my knowledge, cost for a bed in dormitory room, in any italian alpine refuge won't go under the 30 euro unless you join the Italian Alpine Club CAI. Several agriturismo and B&B offer single accommodation, breakfast and dinner for 45/50 euro in that period before August. If you can afford it, i wouldn't think twice.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel costs

http://www.hostels.com/rome/italy?location=Rome%2C+Italy&dateFrom=2014-06-02&dateTo=2014-06-09&guestCount=1&groupType=#orderBy=price

Lots of cheap (and be prepared for very funky dives at this price point) hostels in May-June-July, $30 USD and under. Again, this is simply a place to crash, meet other (mostly) young travelers, and have a shower. Some will have curfews. Key is to get close to public transport. Above is a link for Rome, but hostels.com may be a good starting point as well as couchsurfing.

How much are you budgeting for lodging on average per night for the 3 months?

Edited: 28 December 2013, 10:27
5. Re: Travel costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 05:18