We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 hour layover in Rome ..

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
14 hour layover in Rome ..

I'm 20 and flying from America to Egypt, my layover is 14 hours from FCO to Cairo. I have this same layover on the way back but it is only for a few hours so I figure I should take advantage of the time I will be in Rome. I travel a lot internationally as my parents live in different countries so I'm not worried about being alone or anything like that I just want to make sure I get back to airport in time and don't get lost among people who only speak Italian. I will have a electronic translator but not sure how accurate it will be. Basically I want to leave airport and eat and see a few sights for as cheap as I can .. I would prefer to not spend more than 50 euro , is this possible? I will have a carryon luggage but I can ask for it to be ticketed , right? Even so I don't mind carrying it regardless but I know it would make me stick out as a tourist.. Any tips and reccomendations ? Thanks

Iaccarino Sorrento Limousine Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Private Tours of Rome - Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Colosseum Tours
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,778 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 hour layover in Rome ..

There is luggage storage at the airport so no need to carry it around. It's only 30 minutes into Rome termini from FCO so seeing a bit of Rome is no problem as long as you don't get lost and miss your ongoing flight. You will have almost no problem with the language, most signs for tickets etc are also in English. With a bit of research you can see quite a bit in a day ... www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/705666

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,122 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 hour layover in Rome ..

"I just want to make sure I get back to airport in time and don't get lost among people who only speak Italian."

Assuming that you will already have the boarding card for your second flight (if not, you must return to FCO in time to check in 3 hours before your flight to Egypt) you just need to make sure to take the Leonardo Express train from Termini in time to get to FCO with enough time before the flight to collect your bags from storage and then go through passport control and security checks: you should leave at least 1 hr for this, and personally, I would take a train 2 hrs before your flight. The trains don't get delayed by road traffic so are much more reliable, in terms of respecting the timetable, than the airport buses.

Nobody can ensure that you don't get lost, and of course you should expect to be surrounded by people who only speak Italian. That said, I don't think you should find navigating around Rome any more difficult than anywhere else, and probably easier than many places: as long as you can read a map (and have one) you should be fine. If you don't already have one, and don't want to download one of those you can find on the internet (e.g. from http://www.turismoroma.it/contatti?lang=en), there is a tourist information office in the arrivals area of T3 (if you can't find it, there are various airport information points, see http://www.rome-airport.info/informations.html), another in Termini station next to platform 24 (romatermini.com/en/info/detail/tourist-infor…), and information kiosks in e.g. Piazza Navona and Via Marco Minghetti.

As for spending no more than €50: luggage storage at FCO is €6/piece, the train costs €14 each way, so €28; and if walking everywhere the rest depends on whether you decide to visit anything from the inside, e.g. a combined ticket to the Forum, Colosseum and Palatine costs something like €18 (note that youth reductions are generally restricted to EU citizens). As for eating, you should easily be able to get a couple of pieces of pizza (pizza al taglio) and a drink somewhere for €10-12.

3. Re: 14 hour layover in Rome ..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 05:18