We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help??

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help??

We will be taking a 26 day trip to Europe with two children, 13 and 10 this summer. We are planning on flying into Rome and traveling alot in Italy with Rome, Florence/Tuscany, Cinque Terre being our must see areas and then venturing on to Paris for a few days and ending in London for two days. Would you also add on Amalfi Coast/Sorrento and would we be better off driving from Rome to Florence/Tuscany because of the beautiful scenery. Then taking trains as needed?

Thanks!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help??

Take the train from Rome to Florence and rent a car there. You won't need it in the big cities but you'll need it to easily get around Tuscany.

I wouldn't add anything to the itinerary. As it is, you have about 5 days in each location but that doesn't take into account travel days.

donna

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,413 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help??

If I understand correctly, the 26 days includes London and Paris (you don't say where you are flying from but I presume Rome), so you would have about 20 days in Italy. Although that probably gives you time for the Amalfi coast, if you were thinking of visiting Pompeii I wouldn't want to do that in July/August.

I don't know that the drive from Rome Airport to Florence is all that scenic, unless you head for Civitavecchia and then the coast road up to Livorno and then turn inland to Florence, rather than taking the A1 motorway, which is the most direct route. You certainly don't want a car in the centre of Florence, so if you decide to do that, make sure to check out the ZTL details. It would be more useful if you were staying outside Florence (e.g. Fiesole) or elsewhere in Tuscany, for visiting smaller places like Greve in Chianti.

For the CT it is better to go by train than by car: from Florence it takes about 3 hrs to get there via La Spezia (and sometimes Pisa) but you might be staying closer than that.

A car would also be useful if you wanted to visit, say, hill towns in Umbria or around Lake Trasimeno. But between Sorrento and Amalfi the coast road can be extremely busy in the summer, I wouldn't like to be the one driving.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 22:19
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,506 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help??

If going to CT, I'd not also go to the AC - one or the other; my preference is the AC but if CT is a do or die, then don't go all the way south to go to another seaside area.

Read up on driving in Italy - ZTLs, other rules/laws and do be sure to get an IDP for each driver - it is legally required to have together with your driver's license; you get it AAA offices.

For driving in Italy info:

roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Keep in mind that, as of now anyway, gas is about $9.00 per gallon. The car will be nice only - and pretty much necessary - for the Tuscan countryside as you can't drive into Rome or Florence and a car is useless in CT (no cars allowed in four of the five villages and there is just one tiny little "road" (more a walkway) in those 4 minuscule villages; nicest way to get around those, I think is via boat and the hikes although the train between the villages take maybe five minutes, maybe even less but I can't recall exactly.

4. Re: Itinerary Help??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:17