We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Sticks

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Sticks

My husband and I will be doing a Rome-Florence-Venice trip later this year. My knees are not their best any more, and I know that there will be lots of stairs and hills throughout the tour. I was wondering if anybody out there has taken walking sticks on a similar trip, and if they helped spare the knees. Thanks for your help.

Newton, MA
Level Contributor
278 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Sticks

Most of Florence is fairly flat.

Venice is stairs everywhere. To cross all the little canals you go on bridges, most of which have a flight of stairs. My husband didn't have the best walking shoes when we were there on our honeymoon (young and healthy), and I thought he'd divorce me straightaway because he kept stopping for a rest and it made me nuts.

Rome is mixed bag, but a lot of it is hilly. Not steep hills (it's not San Francisco), but hills nevertheless. And you can count on uneven sidewalks.

I can't address the walking sticks, but there is a lot of walking involved to properly enjoy any of these places.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Sticks

If you have ONE bad leg, then yes a cane can be helpful, but if you get pain in both knees, I'm not sure a stick would be of much help: and if it's a matter of endurance, it would only help if you get one of those with a seat, so you can sit and rest when you need to. If you want to know how it feels for you, why not get one of those folding ones and try it out on a slope or steps near where you live?

United States
Level Contributor
9,620 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Sticks

I think the OP is talking about the type of walking sticks that hikers use not just a cane. I have seen them used in an urban environment.

TAB

4. Re: Walking Sticks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:19