We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy travel in Feb 2014

Pune, India
5 posts
Save Topic
Italy travel in Feb 2014

I am travelling Italy in Feb end in 2014. How is the climate during that time?Is it really needed to carry heavy winter clothes????

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy travel in Feb 2014

It obviously depends on where you are going!

"Italy" includes both 4000-meters-high mountains and northern-Africa-climate-like islands.

Pune, India
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy travel in Feb 2014

I am traveling to Venice, Florence and Rome...

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy travel in Feb 2014

Venice in February might still be cold and humid, winter clothes are advisable.

The southern you go, the warmer it *usually* is. I usually find winter temperatures in Florence and Rome being more agreeable than in Venice.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 12:26
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
741 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy travel in Feb 2014

For Florence:

visitflorence.com/florence-weather/average-w…

For Rome:

http://www.holiday-weather.com/rome/averages/

Brun066

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy travel in Feb 2014

Then yes, take winter clothes. Multiple thin layers are more flexible than thick sweaters and coats, but it is WINTER and a thick coat or jacket - and hat, scarf and gloves - are still likely to be useful, especially if you come from a warm country. In February, the temperatures in Rome are likely to be 4-13° C (average 9°C), in Florence 3-12°C (7.5°C) and in Venice, 1-8°C (average 5°C), see e.g. holiday-weather.com/venice/averages/february/

Venice also suffers from "acqua alta" occasionally in winter months, see tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187870-s208/Venice:I…

Edited: 04 January 2014, 12:34
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,005 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy travel in Feb 2014

Acqua alta should not put people off from visiting Venice,

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy travel in Feb 2014

February is definitely wintertime.

If it's any help, I hope to be in Florence at the end of March/beginning of April and will probably be wearing my long woollen coat. I would rather be too warm than cold.

Don't forget a lightweight, telescopic umbrella. However, if needed, you can easily buy one there.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy travel in Feb 2014

Italy in the North averages around 8-9°C in February. A nice chill but still quite comfortable and charming. I would certainly take warm clothes with you though - hat, gloves etc in case any bitter winds get involved!

Have a great trip

Pune, India
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy travel in Feb 2014

But what's the max day and night temp. Is it really needed to have heavy warm clothes during day time....

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
741 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy travel in Feb 2014

In my previous post, the minimum and maximum average temperatures in February are just the average temperatures of the day and night. For example, in Florence there is an average gap of 9 Celsius degrees between day (12°) and night (3°).

Brun066