We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A gift for my host family?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A gift for my host family?

I will be studying abroad in Florence this semester and will be living with a host family from Jan 28-May 16. I would like to bring a gift for my host family, but I do not know anything about them--I don't know if it's a couple or a single person or of they have children/pets/etc. All I know is that I will be living with Italians in a home a bit north of Piazza della Liberta.

I thought my school would tell me what family I would be with when they gave me my housing assignment today, and I was planning to use that information to help me choose a gift, but alas, I know nothing.

I go to school in New York City but I'm in Connecticut right now and won't be going into the city anytime before I depart.

Any suggestions for a gift for my host(s)?

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A gift for my host family?

Are you from Connecticut? Maybe you could take them something from where you grew up, like something to eat? I am originally from Connecticut and am really hard pressed to think of anything peculiar to that state that might be good to eat. Maybe someone in your particular neck of the woods produces something like nice preserves or honey? Something not too heavy to carry, useful, and not likely to offend other cultures or palates.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A gift for my host family?

P.S. I hope you enjoy your time abroad. I spent my junior year abroad and it was the best of my college years.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A gift for my host family?

A hand made house decoration? A nice scented candle? A tee or sweater of your local football or hockey team?

4. Re: A gift for my host family?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 06:18