We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa Florence area

Level Contributor
53 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Pisa Florence area

Hi guys

thinking of booking flights to Pisa for one week in Sept. Any ideas on an itinerary? Anywhere interesting to see apart from Pisa and Florence? Was thinking 5 nights Florence and 2 Pisa. Can other places be seen in day trips?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,752 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pisa Florence area

One obvious suggestion for a stay is Lucca with direct buses from the airport and direct trains from both Pisa and Florence taking not very long. And maybe see Siena on a day-trip from Florence.

But perhaps a maps-girl could look at a map? And maybe you want time on a beach as well as in cities?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pisa Florence area

Anywhere interesting to see??

Lucca, Siena, Pistoia, Volterra, Arezzo, Borgo a Mozzano, Bagni de Lucca, Collodi. Doesn't your guide book list any of these places?

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pisa Florence area

Any many more places to be added at Nick's list!

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pisa Florence area

Another vote for Lucca, though having driven through Collodi a good few times I personally would be tempted to remove it from Nick's interesting to see list!!

mesh

Edited: 15 January 2014, 12:36
Level Contributor
53 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pisa Florence area

Hi guys

thanks for the info. Some useful suggestions! I literally just decided last night to go so this is where I am starting my research! Good to get an idea of popular places to visit. Now I shall consult my map :-)

Would Lucca be a good base for a week even without a car? (don't mind whether we go to beach or not by the way. Interests include food, culture, sightseeing)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pisa Florence area

Another vote for Lucca. It's a stunning example of a walled city and captures a vital chapter of Italian history.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pisa Florence area

Lucca, I spent a wonderful week there last October. My avatar is a picture of the Guinigi tower (taken from the bell tower).

This link is from the Lucca Forum - Things to Do:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187898-Activiti…

I loved walking the wall in the mornings.

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pisa Florence area

Heartily agree with ocpony, Lucca is wonderful. After over a decade of taking our annual summer holidays there we still spend the majority of our time in the city, walking the walls and streets, even after all this time we continue to come across new finds!

mesh

9. Re: Pisa Florence area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 05:18