We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Milan

Bangkok
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Milan

I plan for a day trip from Milan with personal interest in heritage buildings and unique cultures. Could anybody help which will be the best among Verona, Genoa, and Turin? I understand there are many medieval cities nearby as well, but too small cities may not maximize the only free day I have.

Thank you in advance for any advices.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,942 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Milan

No easy answer to this question, as it depends which on which types of building and your personal tastes.

Genoa has a wide range of architecture and probably the greatest number of mediaeval buildings, while the Strada Nuova is key to the transition from mediaeval to early modern architecture. It is in the most attractive setting (by the sea), but is also perhaps the least attractive and most confusing of these cities for the first time visitor. See http://www.visitgenoa.it/ for information.

Turin is possibly not for you, as it has lost a greater percentage of its mediaeval architecture in wealthier later centuries than the other two, though it does have a small nineteenth century copy of a Borgo Medievale. For an architectural enthusiast, it's better for the baroque and after.

Verona may be the easy option, with a readily comprehensible centro storico, and the Roman theatre and amphitheatres.

2. Re: Day trip from Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 07:19