We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Italy - what to do?

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 days in Italy - what to do?

We're beginning to plan a trip to Italy (and Switzerland) in late May of 2015, and are looking for ideas.

We don't usually stay in one place, but try to move around a bit. Of course you have to spend a few days in Rome. We were also going to hit Venice for a few days.

While the cities are always a hit, we would like to spend some time in the rural areas as well. We prefer to rent a car and go at our own pace. Where would you recommend we check out? I saw some nice areas down near Naples and Pompelli, but would like to hear what others think.

We would end the trip with a few days in Switzerland before flying home.

Ideas any?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,798 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Italy - what to do?

Check the road distances between destinations www.viamichelin.com Venice - Naple or Salerno - Rome

Car rental Venice airport www.auto-europe.com drop off Rome Ciampino airport

Bus Ciampino airport to Rome Termini www.sitbusshuttle.com

You will require an International driving permit for Italy, contact the AAA.

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Flights Rome to Geneva www.easyjet.com

Swiss trains www.sbb.ch/en

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Regional info www.italia.it/en.home.html

Edited: 19 January 2014, 00:38
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,424 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Italy - what to do?

With only 7 days in Italy, arriving in Rome and leaving for Switzerland after Venice, in my opinion it makes no sense to go down to Naples and Pompeii and then back up again. If you really want to drive (in which case you might want to hire the car - after your stay in Rome - from Fiumicino, rather than the centre of Rome), you would do better to do so merely between Rome and Venice, heading North through Umbria, Tuscany and Emilia-Romagna and spending the couple of days you have for other places in whatever sort of place appeals to you along the way. The most direct route would take you past Orvieto, (Perugia,) (Assisi,) Florence, Prato, Bologna, Ferrara and Padova but you might also detour via Verona and/or Lake Garda; or, head over to Perugia, Gubbio (Umbrian hill town: http://www.gubbiotravel.com/), fairy-tale Urbino (www.le-marche.com/Marche/html/urbino.htm), San Marino and then drive up the East coast.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Italy - what to do?

A friend of mine told me that we would be better being in southern italy rather than the northern half for the countryside. On our past trips, we really enjoyed getting out of the city, and taking to the countryside. We can just drive around through the mountainside and rolling hills and look for hidden attractions off of the beaten path.

I realize that we would be going south to then back-track, but I'm told that southern italy just had more to offer and is more scenic. Is this correct?

Also, without looking at a map, i'm sure it's a rather long drive from the Naples area up to Venice. We would probably return the rental car and take the train up to Venice, then rent a second car after we leave there for Switzerland.

I'm just thinking out loud. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. :-)

4. Re: 7 days in Italy - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:18