We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my Italy itinerary feasible?

Fountain Valley...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Is my Italy itinerary feasible?

My boyfriend and I will be spending 6 days in Italy this June. It is our first trip to Italy. Since we don't know when we'll be back, we want to check off all of our must-see's (like I'm sure many others do). The musts are Venice, Rome, Florence, and Naples. Ideally, we'd also like to visit Cinque Terre and Pisa (just to see the leaning tower). My plans are as follows.

Stay in Florence for 2 days

-Day 1: Day trip via train to Venice

-Day 2: Day trip to Pisa and Cinque Terre via train. Then explore Florence.

*Train from Florence to Rome*

Stay in Rome for 4 days

-Day 1: Day trip to Naples/Pompeii via train

-Days 2-4: Explore Rome

Is my itinerary feasible? Should I split it up so I can stay 3 days in Florence and 3 days in Rome? I'm open to any suggestions/advice. Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,051 reviews
from US$77.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$416.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,844 reviews
from US$125.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,731 reviews
from US$113.70*
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is my Italy itinerary feasible?

This is Florence www.visitflorence.com and this is Rome www.rome.info

You could spend the time you have in just either one of these historic and interesting cities.

Trains between Rome and Florence www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times.

You could travel by Trenitalia train from Florence to Pisa in the morning, later take the bus or Trenitalia train to Lucca, returning to Florence from Lucca by Trenitalia train www.aboutpisa.info www.lucca.ca

Accommodation www.venere.com

Edited: 22 January 2014, 08:15
Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
9,865 posts
1,253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is my Italy itinerary feasible?

i think u can't do pisa, florence and cinque terre properly in one day for sure

born2travel.it

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is my Italy itinerary feasible?

The trip to Pisa and Cinque Terre will take the best part of a day, so you have no time in your itinerary for actually seeing Florence. Spend one day seeing Florence and use the other for one of the day trips.

But if you mean that you will be spending 2 nights in Florence then, after allowing for travel and checking in and out, that really means only one day.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is my Italy itinerary feasible?

No, it isn't.

You can't do Cinque terre and Pisa in one day, you don't have time to see Florence at all.

Stay 2 days in Florence and 4 days in Rome, maybe with a day trip to Pompei if you wish.

I think it's all you can do.

Or, if you don't care about Florence, stay in Venice.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,511 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is my Italy itinerary feasible?

Do you seriously think you can visit 6 cities in 6 days? It's impossible. You are simply trying to do too much in too little time. With only 6 days you shouldn't visit more than 2 cities with no day trips. Two nights in a location means you actually have ONE day there. You lose about half a day when you change locations so you must factor that in.

Also, you are trying to combine cities and sites into a single day that cannot be combined. You can't do the CT in a single day let alone add a trip to Pisa on to it. Same with Naples and Pompeii. Pompeii takes several days to visit so visiting it AND Naples means you are cutting both of them short.

I would suggest just visiting Rome and Florence and nothing else. Leave those other cities for your next visit. You say you don't know when you'll be back but I can guarantee you that those cities will still be there when you do get back. There is no sense in trying to cram too much into a vacation when all it means is that you won't see much of anything.

Donna

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
9,865 posts
1,253 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is my Italy itinerary feasible?

this is what i meant

Fountain Valley...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is my Italy itinerary feasible?

Thanks everyone for your responses. Please note that I am aware that I am being overly-ambitious about seeing all of these areas in 6 days. However, since I have never been to Italy and may never go back, I was just wondering if it is doable and perhaps get some advice from those who have done this before. Suggestions for alternatives are very much appreciated. I have 6 full days and 7 nights in Italy.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is my Italy itinerary feasible?

Ok, some more info: where do you land?

What are your interest? Churches, museums, ruins, art (which period), hiking, sightseeing, people watching, food, wine, ancient Rome, renaissance......

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is my Italy itinerary feasible?

Six days is at best 5 useful days. See either Rome and Venice, or Rome and Florence (if you have a great interest in art). While in each city you can make a day trip to one other site. You will spend too much time traveling and not enjoying the best of what Italy has to offer.

Fountain Valley...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is my Italy itinerary feasible?

Food is definitely first on the list. I'm also interested in ancient Rome, ruins, and the renaissance.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 18:29