We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
venice or not with limited travel time

Hi all - I've been reading through the forums on here and thank everyone for their contribution - I'm hoping to get just a little more advice...

I'm heading to italy in May with work and only have a small window of opportunity to travel. I'm in bergamo for work and it seems most logical to stay on the west coast making way down to rome. I am battling with myself though at the thought of missing venice.

Is it worth the 3hr train trip from milan to venice just for an overnight / 2 days there? It would also add significant travel time on return as would be heading to cinque terre and so have to go back via milan anyway.

Rough travel plan is

Bergamo 3 days

Milan 3 days (if go venice 1 day milan 2 days venice)

Venice or not

Cinque terre 2 days

Florence 1 day

Rome 2 days

Home

Thanks in advance appreciate your thoughts!

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,529 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: venice or not with limited travel time

hi: if it was me, i would not attempt the Cinque Terre with your routes......i would try to have more quality time in Venice and most certainly Florence.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,508 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: venice or not with limited travel time

You have 11 days listed with 5 and possibly 6 cities to visit. That's too much travel. 2 nights in a location means only one day in that location. You have 2 nights listed for the CT and Rome and just a single night listed for Florence. To me, that's a waste as you'll spend more time on the train and changing hotels than you will in exploring those cities.

I would cut out Venice and the CT. You can always come back to Italy when you have more time. With 11 days you can reasonably see 3 cities, stretching it to see 4.

Donna

3. Re: venice or not with limited travel time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 06:19