We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to split up two weeks

Harleysville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How to split up two weeks

A general question to throw out there about a most common excursion in Italy... if you were doing two weeks and wanted to split the time between Rome, Florence, and Venice, how much time would you allocate for each one and why? And is this a reasonable trip in general without being too rushed. We like to savor but also don't want to miss the highlights as we may not be back!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to split up two weeks

6 nights Rome

3-4 nights Florence

4-5 nights Venice

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to split up two weeks

6 nights Rome

3-4 nights Florence

4-5 nights Venice

Yes, very reasonable. You've already planned well by choosing only 3 bases in 2 weeks. It is ideal IMO.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to split up two weeks

Without knowing you or anything about your personal tastes, it's a very difficult question to answer. I think most people would agree that you need more time in Rome than the other two cities, but how much more and how you split up the remaining days is not easy for someone else to say without knowing more about you.

It's a boring answer I know, but get hold of a decent guidebook and see which appeals to you most. If you come back and give people a few ideas about your interests and what you're hoping for, I'm sure you'll have plenty of suggestions.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to split up two weeks

One man's opinion: 3 nights in Rome - I don't like big, noisy, modern cities;

4 nights in Venice; remainder in Florence which is the greatest dining out town in the world of my experience, and much crowded and busy than Rome and Venice.

Most importantly: read very carefully Lady B. above.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,611 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to split up two weeks

Also, where are you arriving and departing? You might want to look at open jaw tickets, i.e. fly into Rome and depart Venice. The fast train between Rome and Venice is 4 hrs. so that's a lot of back tracking and lost time.

Agree with getting a guidebook and determining your specific interests. Like roadgard, I love Florence too, but a lot of people don't. Personally, I liked Venice and thought 4 nights were to many. My 1st visit to Italy was 2 weeks in Rome and went back the following year for 2 more.

It's personal tastes and interests, which only you can determine.

Have fun planning :-))

6. Re: How to split up two weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:21