We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Retirees Train Travel in Italy, i.e. Rome, Florence, Venice

Leesburg, Georgia
Level Contributor
85 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Retirees Train Travel in Italy, i.e. Rome, Florence, Venice

Planning a trip in 2015 to Italy for my wife and I plus another couple. Our ages are late 60's and although I consider us to be in good physical condition, we are concerned about getting on/off trains with our luggage as well as getting to the hotel. We are getting to be rather seasoned tourists and we do pack what we consider as being light ..... that is, each of us has a 26" rolling suitcase.

Are there porters at the train stations that can help us if need be? Also, is getting a taxi (as well as directing them where we want to go) a difficult task? Once we get to the hotel, I am sure we can go through them for a transfer to our next destination. I am just worried about the next new city we find ourselves in.

Any help would be most appreciated.

jhk49

Walkabout Florence Tours
Day Trips, Food Tours, Cooking Classes, Sightseeing Tours
TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,806 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Retirees Train Travel in Italy, i.e. Rome, Florence, Venice

No, there are no porters - if you feel you will need help, you can try:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

And, also this service:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

I take a carry on for 3 plus weeks so you could probably even get away with less stuff but, if you can't, read above and see if you can find some assistance. It is the few steep, narrow and awkward steps up into (and down) the train car that I find the most hassle -

You should have no trouble finding taxis - go to the official taxi ranks at the trains stations to get a taxi, don't ever grab one from someone who approaches you (but, I'm guessing you know that) - In Venice, it will be a matter of getting your bags onto the vaporetto after the train but those are easy - it's a flat walk from platform to the boat.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Retirees Train Travel in Italy, i.e. Rome, Florence, Venice

Personally, I would find it difficult, if not impossible, to handle a 26" wheelie getting on and off trains -- actually, I find it difficult with a 24" wheelie and have been trying to make do with a 22" wheelie and a carryon. The problem with trains is that (1)some have steepish stairs, (2) stairway may be narrow, and (3) storage space for luggage that doesn't fit overhead may be limited. There are variations one train to another, but I have had enough bad experiences to know smaller is better for me.

The way transatlantic airlines now charge for luggage certainly doesn't encourage carrying multiple smaller bags -- first bag free and second $70 or $100. The result is that some people pack it all in one huge suitcase. That is fine if someone else is pulling/carrying your bag and you aren't traveling on trains.

I suggest you consider a smaller wheelie plus a carryon and maybe a backpack.

3. Re: Retirees Train Travel in Italy, i.e. Rome, Florence, Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 07:19