We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed Itinerary....advice needed!!!!

Santa Clara...
10 posts
Save Topic
Proposed Itinerary....advice needed!!!!

I am going on my honeymoon in October, starting right after the wedding. We want to have some adventure, but also want to make sure we are not on the go the entire time. Please send your advice on if this is a good plan, or if we should make any changes.

Day 1- 2: Flight into Milan

Day 2: Travel to Cinque Terre

Day 3: Hike all 5 towns

Day 4: Travel to Florence

Day 5: Wine tasting in Tuscany

Day 6: Florence

Day 7: Travel to Naples

Day 8: Day trip to Capri

Day 9: Naples

Day 10: Day trip to Pompeii

Day 11: Day trip to Amalfi

Day 12: Travel to Rome

Day 13: Rome

Day 14: Fly Home

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed Itinerary....advice needed!!!!

Have you been to Italy before? Why so few days in Rome?

CA
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed Itinerary....advice needed!!!!

Not the most relaxing itinerary I've seen, but doable. Rome after Florence. Look into staying in Sorrento rather than Naples. Also see about flying out of Naples. I believe there is a bus from Sorrento to the Naples airport.

Lotsa info here:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Italy

Pottersville, New...
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed Itinerary....advice needed!!!!

Not exactly relaxing. You will be on a train or bus more than every other day. With 14 days, I'd suggest cutting one of your 4 main locations. This will allow you to have a few more days in the places you do visit so you can truly enjoy them. Also, give yourself permission to nix the day trips if you're tired or if the weather is bad.

If flying from the US, expect to be very tired and jet lagged the first two days, especially since it's right after your wedding. Maybe give yourselves a couple of days someplace like Portovenere (or elsewhere along the Ligurian coast) where you can relax a few days, and also visit the Cinque Terre.

Many people with limited time choose to visit one coastal location or the other (CT or Amalfi areas), not both. So you might want to choose just one to allow more time elsewhere. One full day is very little time to see Rome... most folks agree 3 or 4 days is a minimum just to see the major sites there. So if you are not that interested in Rome, perhaps that's the place you cut (and fly home from Naples), otherwise cut one of your other locations to give yourself ample time in Rome.

Remember, the most important part if experiencing Italy is to linger over delicious meals, take walks to nowhere, and sip glasses of wine while watching the world go by. Make sure you have enough time to "see" Italy by not seeing anything at all.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,498 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed Itinerary....advice needed!!!!

I agree that you have a workable plan, but it would be too rushed for us.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed Itinerary....advice needed!!!!

This is an on the go itinerary. You have too much planned if you want some down time.

You will land on day two and take a 3-4.5 hour train ride to the CT. Most people are exhausted after an overnight flight. This could be an issue. One full day in the CT seems a waste to me but if that's what you want you should do it.

You only have 1.5 days in Florence with another set aside for a day trip. Again, this is not enough time for the city and you'll miss quite a lot.

You have one day set for Naples with 3 day trips. In my opinion, that's way too much to do and too much of being on buses and trains.

And lastly, only 1.5 days in Rome. That's not enough time to fit in more than 2-3 sites.

I suggest cutting out a few things. I would start with the CT. You haven't given yourself enough time there to do it justice so you should leave it for your next trip. I would also cut out at least 2 of the day trips you have planned while in Naples. I would add the extra days to Florence and Rome. With only 12 days it makes more sense to spend your time in 3 places than it does trying to run all over a very large country. With the itinerary as you have it you'll spend a ton of time changing hotels and riding trains. You won't have any down time and it certainly won't be relaxing.

Donna

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposed Itinerary....advice needed!!!!

I agree with cutting out one destination to free more days for other places and also to make your honeymoon a bit more relaxing. You can do a very good hike at the Amalfi Coast so consider dropping Cinque Terre.

Stay in Sorrento instead of Naples as you will be doing day trips to Capri, Pompeii and Amalfi Coasti and it is easier to make those trips from Sorrento.

Milan 1 night then fast train to Florence.

Florence and other Tuscan town visits 4 nights. Fast train to Naples then local circumvesuviana train to Sorrento.

Sorrento with visits to Capri, Amalfi Coast and Pompeii 5 nights. Fast train Naples to Rome.

Rome 3 nights and fly home.

This is my input. I hope it helps with your itinerary adjustment. Make your honeymoon enjoyable and not too hectic running from one place to the other. October is a great time to visit Italy.

Santa Clara...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposed Itinerary....advice needed!!!!

Why do you recommend Sorrento rather than Naples?

8. Re: Proposed Itinerary....advice needed!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:20