We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi and Lake Como? How?

USA
Level Contributor
76 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi and Lake Como? How?

Hi Everyone. So I'll be in Italy in mid-May for 10 full nights and days (this doesn't include our travel days). We are flying in and out of Pisa. We are trying to nail down an itinerary and are having a really hard time. We've all been to Italy once before so Rome and Venice are off the list. We keep coming back to three areas ... Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre, and Lake Como. We want to end the trip in Florence with at least one day there. I realize it's impossible to do the big 3 in 10 days. Is it ridiculous to do Amalfi and Como? I know that's going to be a long travel day. How long do you estimate it would take to get to Amalfi from Pisa? Also, if we were to travel from Amalfi to Como ... what would be a good town to stop in overnight maybe to split up the travel time? How long would the Amalfi to Como trip take? Best by train? car?

Thanks!!

Edited: 05 February 2014, 19:25
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi and Lake Como? How?

Check trenitalia for trains and viamichelin for driving.

I would find a coastal spot closer to Pisa rather than spend a whole day traveling.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,770 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi and Lake Como? How?

Basically a whole day Amalfi to Como - and probably around 6 hours or so from Amalfi to Pisa, probably a bit longer given that it is about 4 hours just Amalfi to Rome.

I'd stick to CT if you are going to be visiting Florence and Como - actually, I'd pick one or there other: lake or seaside, for such a short trip.

USA
Level Contributor
76 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi and Lake Como? How?

Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean by one or the other.

I would love to do Amalfi/Como, but I can see how it's more practical to do Amalfi/CT or CT/Como. I've just got to get everyone to a consensus.

We've all been to Florence before but wanted to spend one day/night there before leaving. We can take a bus from Florence directly to the Pisa airport on the day we leave. So with 8-9 days left, I think we will definitely have time for two destinations ... Again, this doesn't include our arrival day in Pisa as I consider that a recovery day. :-)

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi and Lake Como? How?

Easyjet has flights between Naples and Milan Malpensa. This combined with car, train and/or bus could work between the two destinations but time will still be a big factor to consider.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi and Lake Como? How?

Trains Pisa Aeroporto to Varenna to Salerno to Florence to Pisa Aeroporto www.trenitalia.com click on the UK flag for current train times.

Bus Salerno to Amalfi sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5120.pdf

Ferries www.alicost.it www.coopsantandrea.com

www.sitasudtrasporti.it buses Amalfi to Ravello and Sorrento Click on Orari for Campania bus times

Train Sorrento to Pompeii Scavi and Naples www.eavcampania.it

www.discovercomo lake ferry www.navigazionelaghi.it

www.amalficoastweb.com www.capri.net www.pompeiisites.org www.sorrentotourism.com

Regional info www.italia.it/en/home.html

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Edited: 05 February 2014, 21:44
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,239 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Amalfi and Lake Como? How?

If you don't fly, Nurioopta's route is your optimal route!

Vagabonda

USA
Level Contributor
76 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amalfi and Lake Como? How?

thank you! So we did book in Positano and Como (near Bellagio).

I think we may just take the bus to Florence from the Pisa airport on the day we arrive. So we'll leave Florence and head straight to Solerno the next AM. That should be about a 3 1/2 hour train correct?

Then take the Ferry to Positano and a bus to our Villa.

We want to go high speed if available.

USA
Level Contributor
76 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amalfi and Lake Como? How?

Hi ... does anyone know how long the ferry is from Salerno to Positano generally? I can't seem to find out.

Thanks!!

9. Re: Amalfi and Lake Como? How?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 06:17