We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi Coast Question

Weatherford, Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi Coast Question

Hello to all you wise and seasoned travelers! Just found out that we have had a port change from Naples to Salerno on a May cruise. Since we've done Pompeii and Sorrento, we were planning to go to Capri. With the port change, I guess that is a bit far. If we take a ferry from Sorrento to Positano, will it stay close enough to the shore for good vistas and pictures, or do we need to go by land? Can we get a return ticket in Salerno and get off at Amalfi for awhile, then proceed to Positano. Our time frame is 07:00 until 18:00. Appreciate any suggestions for the best use of our time in this port. ~ Thank you!!!

Best Seller
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,972 reviews
from US$75.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$410.50*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,819 reviews
from US$123.10*
Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,701 reviews
from US$111.90*
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,481 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi Coast Question

The ferry ride from Salerno to Positano is one of my favorites and affords fantastic views. It is a 70 minute ride, with a stop in Amalfi, so you will have time to see both Positano and Amalfi, traveling via ferry.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,355 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi Coast Question

Engred - I haven't taken that ferry for quite a long while; can someone get off in Amalfi (coming from Salerno), visit Amalfi and then get on with that same ticket and continue onto to Positano or do they need to buy a new ticket (Amalfi to Positano)? I thought it was a new ticket but now sure - do you know?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi Coast Question

I'm pretty sure that you need separate tickets for each leg of the ferry boat trip. I would ask the ticket agent at the Salerno ticket kiosk just in case .....

Edited: 11 February 2014, 18:51
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,481 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi Coast Question

You need to get a new ticket if you are getting off in Amalfi - because on the ticket is printed the departure and arrival towns.

But, it being Italy, they are not always vigilant about checking the tickets when you board ... :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,355 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi Coast Question

Well, I am always the goody-goody who would buy the ticket regardless of whether inspectors look at them or not and not just because Italy needs every dime it can get because of their dire situation but I just am not built in a way that would take something that isn't mine. I hope they are closely looking at each ticket, they cannot afford to lose money in that manner.

I too have always thought the tickets were point to point.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,481 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amalfi Coast Question

Oh I agree with you MC - I always buy the ticket as I am a "you play, you pay" kind of gal. And yes, they need every dime they can get!

Weatherford, Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amalfi Coast Question

Thank you all for your input! We will be hoping for beautiful weather to enjoy the scenic ferry ride up the coast! Is there anything particular we should be sure to see while ashore in Amalfi or Positano?

8. Re: Amalfi Coast Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:26