We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight costs Chicago to Venice

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Flight costs Chicago to Venice

I'm planning my 2nd trip to Italy, open jaw Chicago to Venice October 3, 2014 with one change of planes and hoping to return on a direct flight Rome to Chicago on October 19th.

My last trip was in late September early October of 2011 and I paid $860.00 for the same flight. Now prices are running $1400.00. I've been checking flight prices on Kayak everyday but don't know if this is the going rate now or if I keep checking every day chances are I will get a flight for $1000.00 or less which is what I had budgeted.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,813 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight costs Chicago to Venice

Flights into Venice operate from Atlanta and New York www.delta.com

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight costs Chicago to Venice

That sounds high. Keep checking. I know you can get an Alitalia flight direct from Rome to Chicago...not sure about a direct flight to Venice though. Check KLM out of Chicago...would much rather connect in Amsterdam than JFK...

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight costs Chicago to Venice

I've been checking all the airlines for months. The prices are just really high. Any one travel to Italy from Chicago often enough to have an idea what a reasonable price is? Did flights go up that much since 2011?

Thanks!

chicago
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight costs Chicago to Venice

I was also surprised at costs. Just purchased Chicago to Pisa for $1250 watched fares for awhile and needed to bite the bullet. Going in September

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight costs Chicago to Venice

Overseas flights are considerably more expensive now than they were in 2011. I would not expect anything for less than $1000. $1400 seems a little high from Chicago, but that may be related to Venice. Check prices into Milan. It is only 2.5 hours away by train.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight costs Chicago to Venice

I checked using Skyscanner and get one using Turkish Air for $700 or so but it has about 15 hours layover in Istanbul. Mind you Turkish Air is an excellent carrier and Istanbul is a wonderful city to visit.

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight costs Chicago to Venice

No price advantage flying to Milan. Even a flight from Chicago to Rome is priced about the same as Chicago to Venice. I don't want a long layover. My dates are firm with time off work and a layover means less time in Italy. Thank you!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight costs Chicago to Venice

"No price advantage flying to Milan. "

For those dates ORD to MXP is less than $1000, with a reasonable layover.

Boston...
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight costs Chicago to Venice

The best we found, for a trip in Sept 2014, was in and out of Rome on Scandinavian Air. I think 900 per person RT. From Newark with a change of planes in rekjavic.

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight costs Chicago to Venice

Thanks oedipamaas41, but that's not an open jaw flight. I'd have to take a train back to Milan from Rome to get the flight home. The open jaw flying into Milan is still in the $1400 range.