We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Italy for the First Time

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Italy for the First Time

planning to visit Italy for the first time. Will be traveling on an international flight arriving on the 29th July. Was looking for a relaxing break for 2 full weeks with the family(no kids). Where should I start? advice on location areas to stay( vacation homes-i.e member of the family is an executive chief) or hotel stay ? Is renting a car advisable to tour around?

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
151 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Italy for the First Time

As a first time to Italy you should really visit the main sites perhaps arrive in Venice and depart from Naples. Remain in Venice two nights continue to Florence for three nights head on to Rome for four nights last part relax amalfi coast for the rest of your time. Do not hire a care you can take train to major destinations www.trenitalia.it or www.italotreno.it

If you prefer an off the beaten track cultural experience rent a small villa or stay at a B&B in Tuscany for the first week rent a car to visit quaint hill towns and small villages. The the following week visit Venice and Rome

Enjoy Best

Linda Sorgiovanni

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Italy for the First Time

End of July will be hot, humid, crowded and expensive. Plan accordingly and take it easy.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Italy for the First Time

Wanting a relaxing time probably doesn't mean hitting all the tourist hotspots in August! And being In Oman it's not SO far to make a second trip to Italy to see other things in the future (I'm sure you'll want to go back...Italy is addictive!)

Obviously it depends on your interest but with 2 weeks I would suggest looking at staying in two areas and exploring them (by car for flexibility). A few years ago we spent a week in a rental in a village near Vicenza and from there visited Venice, Verona, Vicenza itself, some of the villas (by Palladio and others) and lots of smaller towns. Lots of variety but not too hectic and staying in one place you don't have to keep packing and unpacking. Tuscany is another area where you could combine "big name" cities and smaller places/countryside. Further south it will be very hot so not the best time for relaxing sightseeing

edit: Tabata was writing at the same time as me, we obviously think alike!

If you want mountain scenery and (probably) lower temperatures the Dolomites up near Austria are wonderful, different landscape from the Alps)- It's a an interesting area to visit as it is a mix of Italy and Austria (Südtirol/Alto Adige was part of Austro-Hungary until just under 100 years ago and there is still a large German-speaking population. Bozen is the main town but it's not huge. Milan is the nearest airport with good international connections, Venice also not so far.

Near Milan (to the north) there are many lakes so you might like to spend some time there. Near Milan too is Bergamo, a very pretty hill-town which is reminiscent of the hill-towns in Tuscany and Umbria

Edited: 15 February 2014, 09:43
4. Re: Visiting Italy for the First Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 06:18