We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Italy in April 2014....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Italy in April 2014....

Hi. My friend and I are meeting my niece in Italy that's studying in Denmark (April 11-20) during spring break. Since we're flying standby with United we're flexible with our destination and departure airports. We'd like to visit Rome, Venice and maybe Milan. Does anyone have any suggestions to where we should start and finish? Should we take a train or fly within Euro countries? What train service is available? Hotel suggestions? Things to do?

Thank you in advance for any information. This is my first time in Europe and I want to have a great experience. :)

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,879 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Italy in April 2014....

Are you returning to the U.S. from Italy? As you are flexible, try and get an open jaw ticket.

The fast train between Rome and Venice is just shy of 4 hrs. Usually 1st time visitors visit the Rome, Florence & Venice, the fast train from between Rome and Florence is 1.5 hrs and Florence to Venice 2 hrs. Use the Italian names for the station: Roma Termini, Firenze S.M. Novella & Venezia S. Lucia.

www.trenitalia.com

These 2 sites let you look for accommodations by price, location and amenities. The star system in Italy is different than the U.S., i.e. a star for having an elevator or 24 hr reception. I've stayed in some very nice 2 & 3 star hotels and B&B's.

www.venere.com and www.booking.com

All three cities mentioned above are quite compact and walkable. I can't help with Milan, haven't been there.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Italy in April 2014....

I found Milan to be a pleasant walking city, but I enjoy walking everywhere.

For hotels: do not be lured into using 4 star and 5 star hotels unless you plan to spend a great deal of time in the hotel. They get those ratings by offering extra features that are of little value to most tourists. We generally use three star hotels and find them to be thoroughly satisfactory; beyond that, I have always found italian accommodations web sites to be reliable for evaluating what they have to offer. I usually make reservations directly on the web sites and have never had a problem with that. Use Trip Advisor and Venere.com to get the best available opinions from people who have been there.

I suggest Rome-Venice-Milan, or the opposite route, depending on what airline schedules you find.

Don't even think about driving on this trip - you don't have time. Italian train service is very good, cheap, reliable.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Italy in April 2014....

Thank you for the wealth of information. Yes, we're coming back to the US on the 20th.

4. Re: Traveling to Italy in April 2014....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 05:18