We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety-Travelling alone

Leeds, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Safety-Travelling alone

Hi,

I am studying abroad from the US and wanted to see Rome and Venice over my spring break. While I am not a travel newcomer, this will be the first trip I have taken without my parents. My main question is: will I be safe travelling alone? I am a twenty year old girl and have the movie Taken firmly etched into my brain (ie extreme fear of sex trafficking).

Also, I have planned to be in Rome for 4 days and Venice for 2.5. Will this be enough time to see the cities?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety-Travelling alone

Italy is a safe country if you take precautions. I assume you won't let a total stranger who is not a cab driver take you to your hotel and then invite them inside and tell them you're on your own? If not, you don't really need to worry about being "taken".

As for how how long you need to visit Rome and Venice, you need to tell us what you plan to see in order for us to tell you if you have enough time or not. There is no way of knowing without a list of what you want to see and do.

Donna

Leeds, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety-Travelling alone

I've been slightly overwhelmed by everything involved in travelling so I haven't really figured out how much I want to see.

In Rome: I want to see the Colosseum and the Pantheon since I loved reading about Rome as a kid. I want to hit some of the art museums and then also see the Vatican but the Vatican is the furthest down priority wise.

In Venice: Again, not really sure. So far, I know I want to go to some markets and see the Grand Canal.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,424 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety-Travelling alone

I can't see why Italy would be any less safe for a solo traveller than the United Kingdom, if that is where you are now!

For what you want to do, 4 days in Rome (visiting the Colosseum, Pantheon, and several museums including the Vatican) and 2 1/2 in Venice (even by the slowest vaporetto, you can ride down the Grand Canal in about 1 hr leaving more than 2 days for markets) would be plenty of time.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety-Travelling alone

The colosseum and pantheon can be seen on the same day. You can also visit the forum and palatine hill while near the colosseum as they are part of a combo ticket.

As for museums, Rome has a ton of them. You can probably do 2 a day and not get burned out but it depends on you.

As for the Vatican area, that usually takes the better part of the day.

For what you have listed for Rome, not adding anything else, you'll need at least 3 days. If you add other sites such as other wonderful churches, the Borghese gallery, or just wandering you'll need to add more days.

Donna

Leeds, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety-Travelling alone

Thanks for the advice! You both have put my mind to rest. I'm going to just read up on safety travel tips before I go

6. Re: Safety-Travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:19