We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary

Hi,

I plan on traveling to Italy Apr 30 - May 10, 2014 that is 10 days with my sister.

Consider this our first time in Italy, I have been there ages back as a kid. I definitely would like to do Rome. We were thinking of the following route:

Florence (1 day)

Orvieto (2 days)

Rome (4 days)

Positano, Amalfi Coast (2days)

So we plan on flying into Florence and flying out of Naples.

Do you think this is a lot or its feasible? If we have to choose between Tuscany and Amalfi by skipping one, which should we go for? I know both are beautiful but due to the time crunch which is more recommended?

Thanks in advance!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,878 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary

With only 10 days you should pick two cities, possibly three.

The single day in Florence, which I assume is your arrival day will be a waste of time. You won't get to see much and you'll be fighting jet lag the entire time.

I would suggest flying into Rome stay for 4 days, go to Orvieto for 2 days, go to Naples/positano area for 3 days. This will not have you running around quite as much. Remember that you lose about half a day when you change cities so you want to keep that number to a minimum.

Donna

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary

How many nights will you have? What time will you arrive in Italy...before noon I hope. As much as I love Orvieto, IMO it can be done with a day trip from either Florence or Rome. Have you considered flying into Florence (3 nights), training on to Rome (3 nights), training on to Naples/Positano (3 nights) and flying home out of Naples? That's how I would and have done this trip...albeit with a few more days in each city. Good luck...

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary

I like MoltoBeneItaly's itinerary. Definitely fly open jaw into one city and out of the other. Keep in mind Florence has a very small airport, so most people actually fly into Pisa. (Pisa is worth a few hours if you have time).

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary

Orvieto for sure can be done in a day. I would do it enroute to Rome. You ask to choose between Tuscany or Amalfi but really the only thing you have of Tuscany on your Itin. is Florence. Since you are fairly early in the season, I think I would skip the Amalfi coast as much as I love the area...but it could be cool or raining and much may still be closed. In Tuscany, the red poppies may be in full bloom in this period which is beautiful. So I think I would narrow it down to Florence, add more Tuscany and Rome. Orvieto as a day trip on the way to Rome.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary

You never really know what weather you'll get anywhere in Italy in early May...but odds are the further South you go, the odds improve for clearer and warmer weather. The Amalfi Coast (Positano) and it's views will leave you with enchanting memories for a long long time. Make sure you get a room with a view...one with a balcony and view for breakfasts and sunsets is even better!

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,274 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Itinerary

hi: moltobeneitaly presented a nice itinerary & route where you will spend some time in each fantastic city without being in and out of hotels & trains every other day. Remember 1 day = 2 nights, 2 days = 3 nights, etc. and 1/2 day should be added for transport between major destinations. You can visit Orvieto via Rome for a day-trip, if there's time.

Your original post has 9 days but you need to put in travel time.....so actual time IN your cities will be 7 full days with this scenario:

Arrive Florence 2.5 days/3 nights (arrive 1/2 day, 2 full days)

Rome 3.5 days/4 nights (train 1/2 day, 3 full days)

Naples/AC 2.5 days/3 nights (train 1/2 day, 2 full days)

fly home from Naples

7. Re: Help with Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 05:18