We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy by cruise or train?

Topeka, Kansas
2 posts
Save Topic
Italy by cruise or train?

My family and I will be traveling to Europe next Summer and we are trying to decide if we should go on a cruise and hit all the main cities in Italy or weather we should buy a train pass and travel by train.

I was sold on the cruise idea, but then realized that the port for Rome is actually an hour and a half from the actual city. I am concerned that the ports will be too far fom the city at other stops like Naples, Florence, Venice, etc. I was hoping that we would be able to get off the boat and be within walking distance to the cities.

My concern about traveling by train is that once I arrive at the city I'll need to find a way to our lodging places. Any recomendations on how to get around the city? Is just taking a taxi from the train stations to the hotels the best way to go?

I have traveled extensively in the US and Latin America, but this is my first time to Europe and I need a little direction! Thanks.

Level Contributor
1,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy by cruise or train?

The cruisee is nice for the cruise itself. But I would never do it to travel in a country.

So choose: the cruise makes you lose an incredible amount of time but of course it has its advantage.

If you want to make the best out of your trip and you really want to discover italy, no choice: train.

The only city you said it's close to the sea are Venice and Naples.

Avoid the pass and buy ticket from point to point on trenitalia.it

Train stations are in the exact center of major cities that makea train thw best solution. You can reach your accommodation easily by taxi or by inexpensive public transportation.

Check trenitalia.it and start planning your trip!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy by cruise or train?

Regional info www.italia.it/en/home.html

www.rome.info www.discovertuscany.com www.venice-tourism.com www.amalficoastweb.com

Italy trains www.trenitalia.com www.italotreno.it Click on the UK flag for current train times

Accommodation www.venere.com

3. Re: Italy by cruise or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 05:19