We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks in Europe

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
4 weeks in Europe

hi All!

I am planning a trip for the 4 of us. 2 adults and 2 kids (11 and 3 years old). for 4 weeks.

We are not sure if we should do a guided tour - kinda hard to find one that accommodates a 3 years old

OR

if we do it on our own.

We definitely want to go to London, Paris, Germany, Amsterdam, Italy and Spain.

How should we plan it to be cost effective where we don't have to fly North, to South BACK to North then south?

For London to Paris, I was thinking of taking the Euro trail to get to Paris.

Any ides on accommodation in London, hotels are super expensive for Americans.

From Paris, where should we go next?

For Spain it is better to visit Madrid or Barcelona? I want to stay in Spain for a week to work on my Spanish. hahahaha

Italy, oMG, so much to do there but so pricey at the same time. Any suggestions and advices will be so appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,580 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 weeks in Europe

To reduce back tracking check for a multi city air ticket, fly into London and out of Amsterdam.

Possible itinerary.

London to Paris train www.eurostar.com book upto 120 days in advance for best value train fares.

Paris to Madrid fly www.easyjet.com

Madrid to Rome fly www.vueling.com

Rome or Pisa to Berlin fly www.easyjet.com Trains Rome to Florence and Pisa Aeroporto www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times

Berlin to Amsterdam fly www.easyjet.com

www.visitlondon.com www.timeout.com/london www.londonforfree.net www.theatremonkey.com

www.parisinfo.com www.parismetro.com www.timeout.com/paris

www.madrid-tourist-guide.com www.madridtourist.info www.timeout.com/madrid

www.romeinfo.com www.timeout.com/rome www.discovertuscany.com

www.visitberlin.de/en www.timeout.com/berlin

www.iamsterdam.com www.timeout.com/amsterdam

Accommodation www.venere.com

Edited: 24 February 2014, 21:26
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 weeks in Europe

London and Paris are cities, but then you throw in countries, and you could easily spend 4 weeks in just one country.

Too much changing of towns means almost a day lost each time you move in transport, finding your accommodation etc, so be careful you are not trying to squeeze too much in, especially with a little one.

In 4 weeks, try for no more than 6 places max. With travel days taken from each end you have 26 days which gives 4+ days per site. You really don't want any less when visiting a major city.

So London, Paris, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome is about it. Personally I would do only 5 places.

Barcelona over Madrid? Barcelona has both a city centre filled with history and a beach area very close. You could stay at an apartment at the beach and be in Barcelona very quickly and it would give the kids a break. There is also Parc Guell, the Gaudi park where lots of families like to go and which is filled with fantastical Gaudi creations. Dancing fountains; Sagrada familia; I think it is a better bet with a family in tow.

3. Re: 4 weeks in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 05:19