We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to italy - What places, travel, accomodation?

Mumbai, India
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip to italy - What places, travel, accomodation?

Hi, i am planning to visit Italy in June/July-14 with mu husband and another couple. I wish to cover Rome, Florence, Bologna, Venice, Verona and Milan. Is 15 days enough for these 6 cities? If it's too much, which city i can skip?

How would you recemmend internal travel (from Rome to Florence, since that's longest)?

Any specific places that i should remember/avoid about accomodation?

How difficult it is to travel if i rent a car from Florence - Bologna - Venice - Verona - Milan?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,261 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to italy - What places, travel, accomodation?

Do not even think of renting a car. In all the places you want to visit, a car would be nothing but a very expensive nuisance. Trains in Italy are fast, frequent and comfortable and they are the way to travel between cities.

For the best prices on the fast trains, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Trenitalia tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns, or from the competitor on major routes http://www.italotreno.it/EN

Six cities in 15 days is rather frantic. Remember that you loose the best part of a day each time you move, so that 2 nights in a city really means only 1 day. But which places you should skip depends on your interests, and I know nothing about them.

Mumbai, India
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to italy - What places, travel, accomodation?

Thanks for the travel guide!

I would say my interests would - a combination of History, City Day/Night lift, peace, nature's beauty. And would say just 4 cities are also fine that give me essence of it.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to italy - What places, travel, accomodation?

You could fly 'open jaw', fly into Rome and out of Venice. 4 days Rome, 4 days Florence, 3 days Bologna and 4 days Venice. The fast train is 1.5 hrs from Roma Termini to Firenze S. M. Novella, Florence to Bologna is about 35 minutes and Bologna to Venezia S. Lucia about 1.5 hrs. You could do a day trip to Verona from there, or stop on your way to Venice from Bologna.

A good guidebook will show the proximity of the sites.

www.venere.com and www.booking.com allow you to look for accommodations by price, location and amenities - read the reviews. The star system is different in Italy, i.e. a star for having an elevator and/or 24 hr reception. I've stayed in some very nice 2 and 3 star hotels.

4. Re: Trip to italy - What places, travel, accomodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:21