We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for first timer on what to wear in Italy

Meriden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
34 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for first timer on what to wear in Italy

Hi, I am planning a trip to Italy for September with my husband. First time. Curious about two things. I keep reading that Italians dress so nicely.. So, I get that I should not plan to wear anything short, any shorts or skirts above the knee or bare shoulders in any churches or the Vatican, and my husband can't wear shorts. I love to dress up and would probably have chosen mostly dresses and skirts for most days, with some comfortable (non sneaker) shoes for walking. But most women's skirts, if they arent very short, are just above the knee. So I guess I should plan on capris pants or pants for daytime, and if I have the chance to change before dinner, I could change. Would a nice dress or skirt that isnt super fancy be ok for a nice restaurant or bar? What do your recommend, what do people who like to dress up wear? How about men? My husband would do khakis and a nice shirt but is even that not nice enough for a nice dinner? It isnt that I want to look like an Italian, I just dont want to look inappropriately dressed.

Also, do hotels typically have hair dryers? Is this something you have to ask hotels? Letting my hair air dry doesnt help with looking nicely dressed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for first timer on what to wear in Italy

Where are you getting all this stuff? Wear what you want - be sure to cover knees, shoulders in churches and especially required in the Vatican; men at the Vatican must wear pants. In some churches, they MAY not be as strict re: covering your knees but better safe than sorry. But, the Vatican is strict about their dress code nearly 100% of the time.

But, people wear skirts above the knees, shorts, etc -

Most important item is your shoes - if you do not have worn in, comfortable shoes you will be miserable as you will be walking on unfamiliar surfaces - cobblestones, marble - etc

Wear what you like - if you want to get a bit more dressed up when going out at night - do so - there are no rules for dressing; what you describe for your husband is perfectly fine. So, are jeans. Unless going to a high end and/or Michelin star restaurant, this is a non-issue.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for first timer on what to wear in Italy

"and my husband can't wear shorts" Oh...but he must wear shorts! It is bloody hot in Italy in September, everyone wears shorts. Even the Italians! Just make sure they are not a loud plaid or grungy cutoff jeans...khaki and dark blue go well in Italy...;-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for first timer on what to wear in Italy

I way overpacked last year for our trip to italy! In the 3 weeks we were away (Paris and Italy) I wore one pair of black pants once! Nice jeans and a nicer top or sweater is all you need...and what most people will be wearing. Packing for this trip in September I'm going to try for a carryon only for the three weeks. And if you are traveling to more than one place extra luggage is a pain! And of course if you don't have a piece you need you can always shop for it!

Meriden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
34 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for first timer on what to wear in Italy

Oh, I would love to shop for clothes, just not under pressure. It is just that, as I said, I DO like to get dressed up. I don't look as good in pants as I do in dresses. I just want to wear dresses and skirts that are not super long. And it sounds like I can, and that I can always put a scarf over my knees if anyone gives me a hard time. I am very impressed tat you are going for a carry on for 3 weeks, Northshorerobin! But thank you all, I will go with what I want to wear!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for first timer on what to wear in Italy

Just because you like to dress up, you should not burden your husband with dressing up. And don't "blame" it on the Italians dressing up, so you have to do it also. Wear what you want but it is not necessary to dress up to the extent you are talking about.

Pictures of what people in tialy were wearing

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Perth
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for first timer on what to wear in Italy

The only places you need to cover shoulders and knees is in churches. Rest of the time wear what you want - especially for the weather. Some Italians dress well just like some American/Australian/English do. Shoes - comfort over flash any day. After a day of cobblestones and pavements, you will throw away any non comfortable shoes. Feel free to bring dressier chlothes for going out, and maybe take a scarf/pashmina with you in case yo need to pop it on for a church. I always wear leggings under my shorter dresses for a day where there may be churches.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for first timer on what to wear in Italy

As the others have said it's only really in churches that you have to be careful with what you wear, pastel coloured jeans and a nice t shirt is what most people wear and if it's nice weather you'll also see a lot of Maxi dresses.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for first timer on what to wear in Italy

I really stressed about packing for our trip to Italy last October. Hubby was not concerned at all, I think women have too many choices in how to dress! Anyway...fast forward to the end of the trip and I felt really silly for having spent too much time worrying about how I would look. I think people have the wrong impression of how people dress in Italy. Yes, they always look "put together" and stylish...but I saw all kinds of clothes all over the place. You will look like a tourist anyway-so no worries there!

Go-have a wonderful time and try not to worry too much about how to dress. Wear whatever will be comfortable for you...especially the shoes!

As far as hair dryers-yes they do exist, but are more like a warm breeze. I have short hair and they worked fine for me, but long hair is going to be a long dry for sure!

9. Re: Advice for first timer on what to wear in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:23